free website stats program 1997 road king Hey guys i got myself screwed up was hoping for advise and help. | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 road king Hey guys i got myself screwed up was hoping for advise and help.

Deppmyers

I have a 1997 road king flhri that was done. So i got some advise to tear it apart buy an aftermarket ignition,a carb and the works to convert it. I got it all converted ,static timed no start. So i researched some and see the heads are different in my harley parts book than a carbed bike. Does this mean i need change heads? Can i just swap them out for the carbed ones? Anything else i will need do ? I dont want to give up ,im not well off and this bike is all i got so id really like to finish what i started..If i can ...thanks

I checked on those part numbers on Ronnie's HD parts microfiche and the numbers were the same for the injected and carb models. The numbers are different between the front head (16692-95, superseded part number) and rear (16696-92A).

Suggest providing a listing of all the modifications you made, how it acts when you try to start, and as many specifics as you can. There is a lot of very good help here but they can't guess what needs to be done without knowing the starting conditions.

Do a google search for "Magneti Marelli Fuel Injection to Carb conversion". This was a popular topic and common conversion on Harley forums of the early 2000's. I never did one, but there were specifics that needed to be followed.

Thank you for getting back to me on this,i appreciate any help or advice i can get here..yeah i read almost all the threads .Rebuilt a cv carb ,bought new dayrona ignition,did the tank with a pingle set up. Everything is right checked all wires triple checked everything. What its doing is backfiring out the carb,backfiring out of exaust ,i went over the carb again,manafold seals new and tight. I static timed it three times accrding to daytonas direction,even got them on phone to make sure doing it right. Im missing something ??

Gas is new and clean,it just backfires and will not start. The ignition is a single fire,new everything ,tested coil,does the same thing if i put an original harley ignition module on. I did that first bought it used but then thought maybe that was bad so i sprang for the daytona twin tec set up

Last edited by a moderator:
Symptoms indicate an ignition issue. Are you sure the plug wires are not crossed? Don't laugh guy; happens more often than you think.;)

Yes 99% sure wires are right . I thought it was maybe timing at first but i used a straw to make sure on compression stroke Lined the timing mark up. Static timed with new ignition set it perfect to where led goes out per their directions.Then the carb completely rebuild it ,cleaned it .. Ill go over wiring again for ignition when i get home today . thank you

If it's backfiring you have fuel and spark. Only time I recall seeing this kind problem it was a timing issue or as dolt suggested, wires crossed.

Last edited:
I checked wires they are good.It sounds great hitting the start button without gas. Once gas is added its back to the back firing and all with no start.Yeah timing is what i feel but its right as far as im able to know.I was thinking maybe something different in the evo 1340 engine flhri then in the flhr carb that wont allow tgis change to just fire up. But i have parts manual,Service manual,ive researched im just not finding what im doing wrong. Thanks for the help and ideas anyone has any other advice please let me know.I will share as i go here and def let ya know if i solve it

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1613426715053.jpg
    FB_IMG_1613426715053.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 10
Try lining up the timing marks on the opposite end of the stroke that you think it is.

Back