free website stats program 1997 road king Hey guys i got myself screwed up was hoping for advise and help. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 road king Hey guys i got myself screwed up was hoping for advise and help.

Havent gotten to anything wiith the road king,just wanting to check in here, i got myself pretty busy till the week end . Ill try lining up the timing mark opposite as soon as i can and recheck all again .Thanks guys

Ok im sitting here drinking a few beers,i moved the bike into my front room and have just been going over everything again and again and then there it was.....The wires i been using only fit one way there was never no reason to doubt they were wrong. One is so short it only goes to the front plug. Guess what i need longer wires.I got to wait now because the weather hit but first chance i get ill let you all know if.....Reversing the wires solves it........ I feel pretty stupid but i think i have enough beers to get me through these feelings for now.If it fires up and runs(first good day) im going to be very happy.

Short wire meant it was right lol

Attachments

• 20210217_194320.jpg
    20210217_194320.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210217_193253.jpg
    20210217_193253.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 16136098424541076292884.jpg
    16136098424541076292884.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
I kept looking at these wires because you guys said it could be that the wires are wrong. But i just couldnt see it because i was convinced that one coil is the same as the next front is short wire back is longer wire wont fit any other way. Well thanks to you guys i now see all coils do not go to same plugs.Im gonna lose sleep waiting to try and start this bike haha.Hopefully by this weekend i can pull it out and start it.

Ok im sitting here drinking a few beers,i moved the bike into my front room and have just been going over everything again and again and then there it was.....The wires i been using only fit one way there was never no reason to doubt they were wrong. One is so short it only goes to the front plug. Guess what i need longer wires.I got to wait now because the weather hit but first chance i get ill let you all know if.....Reversing the wires solves it........ I feel pretty stupid but i think i have enough beers to get me through these feelings for now.If it fires up and runs(first good day) im going to be very happy.

Hopefully you are on the right track, ya gotta watch out for the beers!!;)

Sounds as if you found the problem, good find. Let us know if that was the fix.
Sometimes it takes a few beers to get your mind right.

Hey everyone ,I got home early today and backed this bike up out the door a bit and tried to fire it. About the same happened except not nearly as much backfire out the exaust and carb. So i did loosened the ignition cam sensor and just kinda centered it.The bike fired died ,fired died,backfired some,made a few flames out the exaust........then finally with me holding throttle open i was able to get a few minutes of it running(rough but running) .(Good news right?) So what is this telling me? Static timing says its good on the twin tec module but its not? Timing is off?way off? So now that im here to where it will run a few minutes i feel like i need to fine tune somethings? Start up settings for carb? Set the idle ? Set the mixer screw? The jets are 190 & 46? And what about the timing? What to do about that? Not much experience with timing stuff but ive learned alot so far so im getting more educated on it.. I want to set it up to where next firing i know idles set ok ,mixer screw is ok,then timing? Thanks everyone

Keep playing with the timing, and see if you hit that sweet spot. If your 100% sure you have the timing correct i'd turn my attention to the carb, very well could be jacked. You have fuel and spark so your running out of options in my opinion.

I guess what im asking is what would some of you more knowledgeable and educated folks on harleys do if you was at this point with this bike to move forward? Try to get it to idle on its own and try to adjust the cam sensor until it seems to be timed pretty close? Can i adjust that while its running like turning a distributor? Or need to shut ot off move it a bit and repeat? Thanks

Sounds good jeff thank you. Can i adjust that while idling

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to get the timing right first. I still think you were timing 180 from where you should have been

I think you should remove the spark plugs and make sure that they are not fuel fouled. Stick a different set in and work on the timing. Once it runs properly you could clean the spark plugs and reinstall if you don't want to toss them out.

Back