free website stats program 1984 FXRSDG shuts down | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

1984 FXRSDG shuts down

Think I now understand the nose replaced the points. So just to get this straight. I remove plates 2 & 4, and also #5 gasket. I LEAVE the sensor plate attached along with the connector wire.

Start the bike cold, and hit the sensor plate w/dryer and see if it breaks down.

I assume the heat will transfer "through" the plate?

And how long do you guess this should take? A few min or as in a ride, 15-30 min?

I understand where you are at Paul. When I was 26 years old, I only had 1 thing on my mind also..

Try 52 almost 53. Had a long life, and don't want to go back. LOL

Time will tell if this is the problem area , be patient, I know how hard that sounds:s

Went out in the garage and noticed something. The wire #rd 12 that runs from the ign mod to the sensor. When it comes out of the bottom of the crome housing where everything is located, there is a bracket to hold it in place. While looking @ that, I noticed that wire was up against the bracket. Some of the sleeve that protects it is worn and cracked, but not all the way through. It "feels" like there are 2 wires inside.

Is it likely it wore into the sleeve thus the wires and even though I can't see it, those 2 wires are bare and shorting ea other out? I think if that were the case it would sputter ALL the time and NOT when it heats up. Just wanted to throw it out there. I'd peel/cut the sleeve open to inspect the wires, but would then have to fix that. Don't want to cause extra work that's might not be needed.

Went out in the garage and noticed something. The wire #rd 12 that runs from the ign mod to the sensor. When it comes out of the bottom of the crome housing where everything is located, there is a bracket to hold it in place. While looking @ that, I noticed that wire was up against the bracket. Some of the sleeve that protects it is worn and cracked, but not all the way through. It "feels" like there are 2 wires inside.

Is it likely it wore into the sleeve thus the wires and even though I can't see it, those 2 wires are bare and shorting ea other out? I think if that were the case it would sputter ALL the time and NOT when it heats up. Just wanted to throw it out there. I'd peel/cut the sleeve open to inspect the wires, but would then have to fix that. Don't want to cause extra work that's might not be needed.
You may have already found your problem, good 4 u, let us know, intruding minds want to know:s

Being 26 years old,

I guess you meant the Bike!:D

While looking @ that, I noticed that wire was up against the bracket. Some of the sleeve that protects it is worn and cracked, but not all the way through. It "feels" like there are 2 wires inside.

Glider, take a look at this would ya....:s

Last edited by a moderator:

Think about vibration causing the wires to short out not all the time?

Yes, the bike. Shirley and I bought it when we married 26 years ago. At least the marriage is still working. LOL

Couldn't stand it. Went back out and looked at the #12 wire where it was fraid. I found 3 wires. Red, black, and green. All 3 appear to be clean and free of bare wire. I also unplugged it from the ign mod wire, and wiped all the grease from the outside.

This now answers my mystery about the sensor they talk about under the "no spark at plug" section. It has a whole section for testing components if you "don't" have a spark, which I do. The problem is "while I'm running" something happens. Whether it's losing spark or fuel related, is the mystery.

I still have to think it's something related to heat since it has NEVER backfired from cold start and if memory serves me right, it lets me get @ least a few miles down the road, every time.

Think I'm gonna call it a night. Gonna be a challenging day @ work tomorrow. Least I have a gravy (desk monkey-all computer work) job now that I'm getting older. Physical that is. Too bad I can't pay someone back here with computer or around the house help.

Last edited by a moderator:
We occasionally have members asking computer questions....jump right in when they do. :D

It's been fun to watch Hoople the crew helping you through this. Congrats on keeping the wife & the bike 26 years. :s

...Think I'm gonna call it a night. Gonna be a challenging day @ work tomorrow. Least I have a gravy (desk monkey-all computer work) job now that I'm getting older. Physical that is. Too bad I can't pay someone back here with computer or around the house help.

"Now that I'm getting older..." wonder where I heard that one before...:roflIt's okay, working on an ol' Harley is trying but refreshing at the same time. You are just working on MOCO's "transition phase" going from points to pointless ignition and the foilbles they had a whole R&D department to sort out (their solution was to go with Hall Effect technology if that is any consolation). :small3d023:

As Joy says, you are to be congratulated for keeping with the wife and the bike...26 years is a nice "round" number.:grose

At a crossroads. Got done 2 late tonight, along w/being windy, didn't want to chance getting any debris behind the cover. On top of that, it will take a few days fot them to get my replacement rivets.

Should I take/waste my time heating the coil & the ing mod, or just go for the nose cone?

At a crossroads. Got done 2 late tonight, along w/being windy, didn't want to chance getting any debris behind the cover. On top of that, it will take a few days fot them to get my replacement rivets.

Should I take/waste my time heating the coil & the ing mod, or just go for the nose cone?

Check them both, but I would check the cone first JMO

Back