free website stats program 1984 FXRSDG shuts down | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

1984 FXRSDG shuts down

Not a gambling man, but my money is on the LED or photo sensor being thermal intermittant, as those vanes are too long in duration to be Hall effect or reluctance type design...!

I changed my old point system to optical system on my 67 Mercury Cougar...way back in the day...cost about $200 back then and lasted for about 3 or 4 years, before it "disinegrated" (distributor shaft runout caused the shutter to "guillotine" the sensor)so switched back to distributor/point system...more reliable and certainly would not strand you in the middle of nowhere. I would opt for a modern Hall effect aftermarket ignition system...not that much into nostalgia these days for shaky electronics design...but that is just me.

Not a gambling man, but my money is on the LED or photo sensor being thermal intermittant, as those vanes are too long in duration to be Hall effect or reluctance type design...!

I changed my old point system to optical system on my 67 Mercury Cougar...way back in the day...cost about $200 back then and lasted for about 3 or 4 years, before it "disinegrated" (distributor shaft runout caused the shutter to "guillotine" the sensor)so switched back to distributor/point system...more reliable and certainly would not strand you in the middle of nowhere. I would opt for a modern Hall effect aftermarket ignition system...not that much into nostalgia these days for shaky electronics design...but that is just me.

Some sound advice here, back in the day we changed alot of them back to points, esay to change and trouble shoot on the road, and points and condensors can be carried in tour jacket pocket:s

You are correct. This is ALL new to me. When it comes to electronics or anything other than minor engine (changing oil, belts, plugs, wires etc) this is new ground.

Maybe what I'm missing is the nose trigger being a totally seperate part NOT part of the ign mod? Even though the wire flows "from" the ign mod "to" the nose trigger, they are 2 independent parts?

Other than knowing what the components are and look like, this is totally greek to me why and how they function. I won't pretend. That's why I said in the begining tell me like I'm 2 years old.

One of the pics even shows a sensor which for the life of me, I can't tell where it is. Part of the coil assembly?

You are correct. This is ALL new to me. When it comes to electronics or anything other than minor engine (changing oil, belts, plugs, wires etc) this is new ground.

Maybe what I'm missing is the nose trigger being a totally seperate part NOT part of the ign mod? Even though the wire flows "from" the ign mod "to" the nose trigger, they are 2 independent parts?

Other than knowing what the components are and look like, this is totally greek to me why and how they function. I won't pretend. That's why I said in the begining tell me like I'm 2 years old.

You are on the right track now and should be able to get it done now, you could change it over to points and condensor and be on the road again also:s

As usual, let me show my ignorance again. I rem having an old 650 yamaha after getting out of the Navy, and it had points. Also had a 750 Honda w/same. Is this nose cone taking the place of that? Sounds stupid I know, but just being honest. More of an external mechanic as opposed to internal.

Here is a link I found.

http://www.msdpowersports.com/pdf/frm26218_pn42211.pdf

Thats it now your talking, Keep up the good work and you should get it running in no time, if nothing else you can test and rule it out as the problem:s

That's it.! They call it a "cam housing" in the picture. Those are trigger electronics to fire off the MSD.

Your doing fine. Just refer back to the picture in entry point #18 that you posted. There are 3 main pieces.. (1) module,, (2) trigger electronics,, and a (3) coil.

After what NewHD & Jack said about those nose cone electronics, I would drill the rivets heads off and heat that sensor plate.

That's it.! They call it a "cam housing" in the picture. Those are trigger electronics to fire off the MSD.

Your doing fine. Just refer back to the picture in entry point #18 that you posted. There are 3 main pieces.. (1) module,, (2) trigger electronics,, and a (3) coil.

After what NewHD & Jack said about those nose cone electronics, I would drill the rivets heads off and heat that sensor plate.

I would change it back to points and condensor and be done with it, but thats just me, kind of old fashioned but easy to fix on the side of the road and a lot cheaper too, Now where is Hooples and my 20.00 Im going shopping, Good Luck I think you will get her done now, good info here by all:s

Ok-So back to drawing 18. I drill out the rivets, remove plate 2,4, and gasket 5. Do I need to remove plate 8 for the test?

If so it says may require new wire pins, sockets, and body receptacle? I see no mention of specifically what they are?

Are they the mechanics behind door # 8 that take the place of points?

Ok-So back to drawing 18. I drill out the rivets, remove plate 2,4, and gasket 5. Do I need to remove plate 8 for the test?

If so it says may require new wire pins, sockets, and body receptacle? I see no mention of specifically what they are?

Are they the mechanics behind door # 8 that take the place of points?

The points would mount on the plate where the ignition is now number 8:s

Back