free website stats program 103 oil leaking from air intake | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

103 oil leaking from air intake

Best info has already been posted. Remember unless you are doing a total oil change with a Scavenger kit there will be up to 24 ounces of oil left in the crank case, so if you use the manual as a guide you will be over full by almost 1 quart.

Jack, please make me understand - 2001 Heritage Softail -- why HD would design an engine that when you drain the oil for a change, you dont drain out all the old oil. I changed my oil yesterday and noticed that after I filled with NEW oil, after I started it, the return oil quickly muddied up the oil in the tank with OLD oil.

Pitiful I say. I am certain that HD knows that when you drain the oil, you dont actually drain ALL the oil. Are Brand NEW bikes this same way? Needing to scavenge the old oil out? OR do the new bikes use some sort of check valve to prevent the oil from sumping or having that 24 ounces left in the engine? Sounds to me like a good argument for using a real good synthetic oil - and a good filter.

Bill

Just had the O-Rings replaced in the breather ports or what ever they are called. Not realy sure what the nomanclature is (breathers, Crank Case Port?) but they are located at the 10 and 2 O-Clock points behind the Air filter.

Just had the O-Rings replaced in the breather ports or what ever they are called. Not realy sure what the nomanclature is (breathers, Crank Case Port?) but they are located at the 10 and 2 O-Clock points behind the Air filter.

Those are the head breathers, are you running a stock air cleaner, I have seen the hoses from the heads to the air filter collapse:s

Jack, please make me understand - 2001 Heritage Softail -- why HD would design an engine that when you drain the oil for a change, you dont drain out all the old oil. I changed my oil yesterday and noticed that after I filled with NEW oil, after I started it, the return oil quickly muddied up the oil in the tank with OLD oil.

Pitiful I say. I am certain that HD knows that when you drain the oil, you dont actually drain ALL the oil. Are Brand NEW bikes this same way? Needing to scavenge the old oil out? OR do the new bikes use some sort of check valve to prevent the oil from sumping or having that 24 ounces left in the engine? Sounds to me like a good argument for using a real good synthetic oil - and a good filter.

Bill

Hi Bill have a look at this it will help ..::Rogue Chopper::Welcome::..

Ok, still having the same problem. I am below the fuel line on my dip stick. Still oil on my crank case. I finally took it to my local HD shop and paid money to have them take a look. They said it was fixed. They explained I had to much oil in my K&N air filter. They said it was fixed and sent me on my way. I know I did not over fill the filter but seeing how they were the experts I went home thinking maybe they were right. Went out for a drive today and same issue. Iol leaking on to my crank case again. Going to take it back and hope they dont charge me to look at it again seeing how they already fixed the problem according to them. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Ok, still having the same problem. I am below the fuel line on my dip stick. Still oil on my crank case. I finally took it to my local HD shop and paid money to have them take a look. They said it was fixed. They explained I had to much oil in my K&N air filter. They said it was fixed and sent me on my way. I know I did not over fill the filter but seeing how they were the experts I went home thinking maybe they were right. Went out for a drive today and same issue. Iol leaking on to my crank case again. Going to take it back and hope they dont charge me to look at it again seeing how they already fixed the problem according to them. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

2 things come to mind, too much oil in the tank will cause oil to migrate out the air cleaner after hard runs, oil pump may have to be realigned, base gaskets may be leaking, rocker box gaskets could be leaking, or as they said the K N air filter could be over oiled tho if you are using a k N charger kit this oil should be red in color

2 things come to mind, too much oil in the tank will cause oil to migrate out the air cleaner after hard runs, oil pump may have to be realigned, base gaskets may be leaking, rocker box gaskets could be leaking, or as they said the K N air filter could be over oiled tho if you are using a k N charger kit this oil should be red in color

Checked those things. Only coming from the filter itself. Its a mix between a brownish oil color and a bit of red oil. Looked at my filter and the bottom section is turning a wet brown color. When I remove the filter I have oil collecting at the bottom of the face plate.

Recently had some work done on my 98 Road King by an independant certified Harley mechanic, he went over the bike and said he unclogged the oil vent hose or breather hose. He said to check it regularly for mud dauber nests, when it's clogged it can cause oil leaks, just a tip for your checklists!

Check the 2 hoses going to the back plate, make sure they are not collapsed, or kinked it is easy to do:s

No hoses on my back plate. Just two holes. My back plate is for an 09. Guess they went away with the hoes that lead back to the throttle body. Not sure why.

Back