free website stats program 103 oil leaking from air intake | Harley Davidson Forums

103 oil leaking from air intake

chpgreg

This is my first posting so i dont quite know how it works. I have a 2011 road glide ultra 103, with 6,000 miles on it. after the first oil change at 1000 miles it started leaking oil from the air filter area, onto the motor and blows back onto saddlebags. I have asked 3 dealers about it and they say its normal. 1 suggested that i put in too much oil. I am spot on on the amount, so that cant be it. My first harley. I have had 5 hondas before this and i know for a fact that this would never happen with a honda. dont get me wrong i love the harley if only it didnt leak

:wce You should introduce yourself in the new members forum first. Then you should post your problem in the correct spot for your question, not all members read the new members forum. That being said...Welcome to HDTimeline!!!!
All the dealers you visited are liars. Your new HD should not blow oil out of air cleaner if everything is as it should be. I would take it back and demand something be done. If they won't do anything, tell them your going straight home and calling HD service.
Somebody else will chime in here shortly with more info I'm sure.
wilks3
:USA

I am spot on on the amount, so that cant be it.

If your spot on, it's probably too full. I found I need to run the oil level slightly lower than the full mark. When I run mine at the full mark, it will dump oil in the filter. There is no danger running a little under the full mark when running a dry sump system (non splash oil tank system).

Welcome to HD Talking!:)

If I run mine to the full line some goes in the air filter, my parts guy says to run it about 1/4 quart low and that's what I do and there is no more oil in the air filter and the bike runs fine.

1 suggested that i put in too much oil.

This may help:

Oil Level Cold Check
Perform engine oil level COLD CHECK as follows:
1. For preride inspection, place vehicle on level ground and
rest the vehicle on its jiffy stand (unless sidecar is
attached).
2. Turn filler plug/dipstick counterclockwise. Remove and
wipe off the dipstick. Insert the dipstick back into the oil
pan with the plug screwed completely into the fill spout.
3. See Figure 1-2. Remove the dipstick and verify the level
of the oil. The correct oil level should register between the
two marks on the dipstick. If sidecar is attached, check oil
level using the opposite side of dipstick as shown in
Figure 1-3.
NOTE
If oil level is at or below the lower arrow, add only enough oil
to bring the level to the middle of the two marks on the dipstick.
Oil Level Hot Check
Perform engine oil level HOT CHECK as follows:
1. Ride motorcycle until engine is at normal operating temperature.
2. Place vehicle on level ground and rest the vehicle on its
jiffy stand (unless sidecar is attached). Allow engine to
idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn engine off.
3. Turn filler plug/dipstick counterclockwise. Remove and
wipe off the dipstick. Insert it back with the plug screwed
completely into the fill spout.
4. See Figure 1-2. Remove the dipstick and note the level
of the oil. If sidecar is attached, check oil level using the
opposite side of dipstick as shown in Figure 1-3. Add only
enough oil to bring the level to the FULL mark on the dipstick.
Do not overfill.

Your dealer is wrong .. All above post are spot on.. Harley's are a breed of their own and Not like the other bikes you have owned/ridden.

Most of us HAVE found Many things that HD say is Not quite to be followed.. You will Learn from the members here who are willing to share THEIR points of interest about THEIR bike and these Points are Priceless...

The books HD put out are good but some things Must be Tackled a little different for quite a few bikes..

You will find that you will probably Want to Service your own bike and Save a ton of $$$$$$ . This will NOT void any warranty with HD and More than likely won't have your bike Blowing oil out the air box.. NO, they ALL don't do it IF things are done correctly for Your HD..

Lots of these tips are located in the Self Help area and FREE for the members to read.. I'd go there and Browse for a while Then come back to ask questions...

Welcome and good riding.

signed....BUBBIE

Check your oil when engine is HOT HOT HOT. Not just ride around the block hot, but after a good long ride. Your oil level should be 1 square below full on the dipstick when oil is HOT. This will prevent oil blow by into the breather.

I agree totally with the other guys. Run here a 1/4 low and she won't blow by at the filter. Just did 7200 K without adding or losing a drop. It's good advice.

On any dry sump system the oil level should be checked when the engine is hot cold check is to ensure there is oil there always hot for correct level of oil
However many owners have found that running a wee bit low from the full mark keeps the air cleaner free from oil

Brian

Best info has already been posted. Remember unless you are doing a total oil change with a Scavenger kit there will be up to 24 ounces of oil left in the crank case, so if you use the manual as a guide you will be over full by almost 1 quart.

Back