free website stats program 103 oil leaking from air intake | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

103 oil leaking from air intake

Every bike I've owned since they they started running the crankcase breathers to the air filter has dripped oil. My 4 wheelers do it too. I ran my 09 103 almost a quart low and still got oil after hard runs. I installed a Pro hypercharger and ran the breather hoses to the ground. No more oil on the bike.

Just installed new breather assem Part #17025-03A. Its the new design that was put in 2011 and newer bikes. Design is supposed to be better. Sponge is more dense and does not lay in the oil. I will run it for a while and post any results. Hoping it will fix the oil leaking. But only time will tell.

The previous posts on he oil level needing to be just shy of full on a hot engine are right on. any more oil and it dumps out the breather.
Just an added note on the metrics not blowing oil out the breather when run at the full mark...prior to my Harley I ran Yamaha's and they to would blow oil out the breather if filled to the full mark.

Take a turkey baster or large syringe with a length of tubing attached to get into the oil and remove a little. There should be no more oil burps.

I have a fix for oil laking from your intake, soaking your filter and dripping on the timing cover. I decided to drill and tap the stage one back plate where the breather bolts are and route hoses down to the ground. This setup has been on my bike for about a month and there is no more oil soaking my filter. If somebody wants details / Pictures just let me know.

I was told by a reliable source that the recessed hex plug under the cam area will allow all the oil to drain out. Anybody aware of this?? Also, the oil in the air filter might be due to the breather caps not being tightened down enough. Why should an engine filled to the recommended capacity have oil blow-by? That makes no sense if everything is properly assembled.

Why should an engine filled to the recommended capacity have oil blow-by? That makes no sense if everything is properly assembled.

I don't think it's a blow-by issue. The higher the oil level in the oil tank, the more back-pressure the scavenger pump sees. The more back-pressure the scavenger sees, the greater the chance of having too much oil in the sump. The more oil in the sump, the more oil misting will take place by the crank flywheels and the easier it gets to have oil pumping into the air cleaner.

One of the signs of having a scissored crank is having tons of oil in the air cleaner. That's due to the scavenger pump gears getting destroyed from crank run-out. I would bet that if you had the scavenger pump working at it's peak, the chances for oil in the air cleaner would be greatly reduced.

But when the acceptable run-out of a new crank (2007 and up) is .010",,,,that all gets transferred to pump gear clearance. So what's the chances of having a pump running at peak performance when your gear clearance is off the charts ?
It all starts with having a true crank. And from the factory, they are not.

Back