free website stats program 09 wobble? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

09 wobble?

You need one of these, they not expensive at all.

17-5565.jpg

I was finally able to get air in my rear tire. I guess it's a combination of the wider rear tire and laced rims and my big hands; it was hard to get a good connection to put in air in the rear tire. I finally ran the hose through the slots in the brake disk. By doing that I was able to get the right angle and fill the tire.

The brass nozzle you showed is what I have but I think I need to lose the quick disconnect and hook the nozzle directly to the air hose.

Anyway, I went for a ride after I got the tire pressures correct and the wobble was hardly noticeable and seemed even better after riding about 40 miles.

I think I'll be checking my air pressure more frequently, as I did with my previous bike, an 07 Road King. I was thinking since I have to run tubes in these laced rims; that air loss wouldn’t be such a problem, as with a tubeless tire. Still, with the Road King, I never had a wobble but I can't swear I'd ever let go of the handle bar during deceleration on that bike.

Another thing that will help keep your tire pressure the same while hot or cold is to fill them with nitrogen. Nitrogen does not fluctuate like air does with tempature changes. Alot of auto shops will have nitrogen and all aircraft service shops will have it also. This makes it alittle tough for us do it yourself guys but it will help alot.

Steve

Another thing that will help keep your tire pressure the same while hot or cold is to fill them with nitrogen. Nitrogen does not fluctuate like air does with tempature changes. Alot of auto shops will have nitrogen and all aircraft service shops will have it also. This makes it alittle tough for us do it yourself guys but it will help alot.

Steve

Is nitrogen detrimental to anything? If not I may look in to this. Seems there is always a side effect to consider. I would like to know if there is any downside. Also, if it does get low, can you add air to a tire filled with Nitrogen? These may be simple questions to some, but I know very little about it. Thanks.

Considering the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen anyway and 21% oxygen, I think it's a bit of overkill myself. I'm sure there are many that will endorse it's use in any event.
You can top off a tire with regular compressed air when running the nitrogen.

Here's what's advertised about it by a nitrogen equipment manufacturing company.
  • Longer tire life:
    By maintaining proper inflation pressure and minimizing tire aging, tire life improves by up to 25%
  • Eliminate chemical aging of the tire:
    As oxygen and water vapor permeate through the side wall, the rubber degrades, causing the tire to deteriorate. Nitrogen is inert, halts the chemical aging of the tire, and prolongs tire quality
  • Nitrogen is very dry (-50°F dewpoint):
    Nitrogen eliminates condensation and rim corrosion, and will allow tires to run cooler and provide a safer ride
  • Maximize safety:
    Cooler rolling temperatures minimize autoignition and catastrophic blowouts, providing a safer ride.
nitrogen_mainchart_consumer.gif

Last edited:
Nitrogen is an inert gas and will not harm anything. the air we breath is mostly nitrogen something like 78%. Nitrogen is dry also, so no corrosion from moisture. No issue at all with adding compressed air if needed.

If you are going to fill the tires with nitrogen all you need to do is take the valve stems out and let all the air pressure from the tire then fill to desired press with nitrogen.

The 2 main benifits are less mosture and a more constant pressure over a wide tempature range.

Steve

Glider,

You beat me too it and did a better job explaining too.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the tire treads for rocks or an embeded object, first. Then, check the tire weights to make sure you have'nt thrown them. Last but not least, the tire may be out of round.

Thanks for the NITRO INFO. You know, for me forgetting to check my tire pressure and posting prematurally, this thread sure has turned up a lot of good related advice. Thanks to all who replied. .:s

Back