free website stats program 06 dyna Rotor-Stator | Page 10 | Harley Davidson Forums

06 dyna Rotor-Stator

I gotta revive this thread. I just had the rotor bolt trick happen to my '06 Dyna. Harley said their 1st appointment was in a month. This was unreasonable to me, so I figured I'd do a little homework and just do it myself.
Not going bad so far, thanks to a step by step I found on this site. I do have one thing that's messing me up. The three wires coming off the stator, through the case and into the square plug. Do I, or can I re-use the old plug, or do I have to get a new one? If I can use the old one, how the (EDITED) do you get the wires out of it?
By the way, the new stator & rotor were $281.00 + tax....AND IT"S WELDED TOGETHER NOW?!! I would think a better price for this replacement would be FREE!
Also, do I need special tools to get the main bearing out of the inner primary?
I figure I'll replace that while I'm in there, since it's making noise again from when Harley replaced it LAST YEAR.

Language is not permitted on this forum. NOT a great start!

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Sorry about that. I would not have imagined that would be on the list of vulgarities. It won't happen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to eject those pins out of the housing. Are you working without a service manual. The pins your trying to remove are female connectors correct.

You should be able to eject those pins out of the housing. Are you working without a service manual. The pins your trying to remove are female connectors correct.

Yep, they go into (they are) the female side. I do have the shop manual and it's kind of confusing. Just cant see how to get this apart.

DSC01389.jpg

In my manual, appendix A is a chapter on taking all the different connectors apart. Maybe the '06 manual does not cover it. Take a look and see if it's there.

Ok, alls I had to do was yank the front off then I could see the release clips.
The only other question I would have as far as installation is putting the three new wires back into the housing. Neither the housing nor the wires are numbered, does it matter how they go back?

Well, it's done. Charging up the battery and theoretically speaking, it should be ready to roll. The new parts for this thing are so different, I thought they gave me the wrong stuff. The stator is now almost twice as thick as the original and even hangs over the collar a little. And the rotor & compensator housing are now welded together, no longer bolted. The only thing I couldn't do before I hadda pack it in for today is rear starter housing bolt. I just couldn't for the life of me get it in. I'll attack it in the morning with a fresh mind. I got it out, I'll get it in. Wound up costing me about three hundred and sixty bucks, and that included replacing the main shaft bearing while I had all that stuff apart. And it also included buying the shop manual.

Well, it's done. Charging up the battery and theoretically speaking, it should be ready to roll. The new parts for this thing are so different, I thought they gave me the wrong stuff. The stator is now almost twice as thick as the original and even hangs over the collar a little. And the rotor & compensator housing are now welded together, no longer bolted. The only thing I couldn't do before I hadda pack it in for today is rear starter housing bolt. I just couldn't for the life of me get it in. I'll attack it in the morning with a fresh mind. I got it out, I'll get it in. Wound up costing me about three hundred and sixty bucks, and that included replacing the main shaft bearing while I had all that stuff apart. And it also included buying the shop manual.

Smart man! By doing the work yourself You actually got the manual for free and saved on the labor.. Good job

signed....BUBBIE

Back