free website stats program Wobble in front end on highway | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wobble in front end on highway

With what I hear you saying it sounds like a wheel balance problem. Can you tell it you might have thrown a weight ? Maybe the tires were not balanced properly from the start. If everything else seems tight & proper presure, I'd start there.

I was reading this last week and I had to find it again & post on it... My bro-in-law has a 09 RG and he had the same unstablity feel sometimes just as you are discribing. He just brought his bike in for service and had the front tire changed (after calling HD to get the dealer to do it) as they were not willing to change it, he tried on the last service visit... anyways he picked up his bike on sat and we went riding... he said once we were done that the wobble was gone... front end felt good, no more concerns... he had the 407 tire on it and they changed it to the new 408 tire.... so check into this also for your bike....

I was reading this last week and I had to find it again & post on it... My bro-in-law has a 09 RG and he had the same unstablity feel sometimes just as you are discribing. He just brought his bike in for service and had the front tire changed (after calling HD to get the dealer to do it) as they were not willing to change it, he tried on the last service visit... anyways he picked up his bike on sat and we went riding... he said once we were done that the wobble was gone... front end felt good, no more concerns... he had the 407 tire on it and they changed it to the new 408 tire.... so check into this also for your bike....

This is most likely the cause, MOCO changed from 407 to 408 half way through year. if you look at them side byside the 407 tread is exactly reverse of 408. BTW 407 tread was pushed by MOCO for aestetic reasons only.

I've got an 05 RG and I have not felt the frontend hunting or any uneasy feeling, with the exception of high speed twisties. I solved that problem with a rear stabilizer. With the Avon Venom tires it is solid as a rock, and I get between 10,000 and 12,000 miles on the rear. You should listen to the experts on this site and make sure that your dealer has it documented even if they don' feel it. With the fairing that you have on the RG even cornering side winds should not make it feel unsteady. You haven't told us if your running the 407 or 408 Dunlop.

I have a opposite change from Avon Venom tires, I switched from Dunlop 402 to Avon venom tires. My 06 Heritage rode smooth and solid in the turns at high speeds, No high speed wobble. Now with the new Avon Venoms, the bike is unstable and has a bad high speed wobble in the turns.

Back