free website stats program Wobble in front end on highway | Harley Davidson Forums

Wobble in front end on highway

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping someone can make a suggestion to a problem I seem to be having with my new Road Glide (2009). I just picked it up yesterday and have about 130 miles on it so far. Sometimes on the highway I sense a "wobble" in the front end. I'm not sure if "wobble" is the right word...almost seems like the front end is "floating" back and forth a bit. It does not happen all the time, but it's pretty disconcerting when it happens.

This is my first touring bike. I had a 2007 Dyna (FXDC) and my wife has a 2008 Softail Deluxe. I've put about 12,000 miles on the Dyna and have never felt anything like this before.

I checked the front tire and it seems pretty solid. As I mentioned above, this does not happen every time on the highway. I've probably put about 30 miles on the highway and I've felt it approximately 3 times, so far. Each time it lasted less than 10 seconds. It has not happened in non-highway situations.

It's been a bit windy and pretty warm here in Southern New Hampshire since I got the bike. Not sure if this is related, but....

I'd appreciate it if anyone has any thoughts. I'm bringing the bike back to the dealer in a few days for new Rush slip-ons, FuelPack, high flow air filter, and a couple of other items. I'm going to ask them to test drive it to see if they see anything, but I thought I would see if anyone on the forum has any thoughts.

yeah, me too.
i posted a question about this a few weeks back.
i have an '09 RKC and i feel the same "unsteadiness" in the front end on the highway.
i am bringing in my bike for the 1K service & will ask about it.
i don't mean to denigrate the dealerships but i am not expecting any help from them.
the "wobble" is not acute & therefore they'll tell me it's non-existent.
but i sure would like to hear from others who have experienced the same thing on their touring bikes.
as i said in my post about this problem: these bikes should be at their best on the highway. mine feels slightly unstable.

loose steering head bearings? how about tire shifted? how do they feel to the hand and what air pressure

air pressure on my RKC is 36 up front and 40 rear. stock dunlops for the RKC.
it feels unstable "to the hand," to try to describe it. it's not like it's spinning out of control but i feel i cannot relax into the ride on the highway. gotta stay sort of tense because of this perceived instability.
someone else may say it's not there ... but they'd be wrong.
it's subtle but i feel it.
in my previous post i asked if it might have to do with the spokes not being tightened correctly.
i doubt it, though.

oh sorry ...

i just realized you probably meant "how do the tires feel to the hand?" right?
i'll have to check that. is there something i should "feel" for? they seem tight and inflated correctly to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tire feels solid and I do not experience the problem all the time. When it happens I can accelerate and it seems to settle down. When the "instability" or "floating" happens, my first inclination is to slow down...not a good idea at 70 MPH on the highway during rush hour. As I mentioned before, everything seems fine most of the time. I can take turns (not on the highway) very aggressively (alot of lean) and the bike feels rock solid.

yes i ment how do they feel when you run your hand over them... spokes can cause it for sure.. do you see the handlebars moving when you guys feel it .. i know ya have the newer tires than the older ones and i havent rode a 09

My RG has a 28 spoke front tire...no real spokes to tighten, like I had on the Dyna (or my wifes FLSTN). They are almost like a solid rim. The handlebars seem solid. When it happened today, I shook handlbars a bit to see if it made the instability go away. It made no difference.

Yup, under 55 it seems fine. Now that I think of it, I bumped it up to 80 and did not feel the problem. Again, it does not happen to me all the time, so maybe I was lucky at 80. I'm hoping it happens to the tech at the dealership when I bring it in next week, but I'm sure it will be fine when they ride it!

im thinking balance issue .. but hard to believe since it dont do it all the time .. or tire but same problem .. but i like the steering head bearings for this i didnt notice a wobble in mine all the time till right till i readjusted it and now notice it rides different front end dont hunt

Back