free website stats program Wobble in front end on highway | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wobble in front end on highway

These stock baggers have a pretty high COG although the UCs are the worse. They do feel pretty unsteady especially with a quartering or wind from the side. Try to determine if this is the situation when you feel the "unsteadiness" you describe. If so, the only real solution is lowering the bike. I have done that (for different reasons), but still get it a little when I have brand new tires on front and rear (like now!!). As the tires wear, this disappears.

TQ

Last edited:
Something is out of balance (wheel/tire) or loose (steering bearings, etc.). It is easy for the dealer to check for loose bearings. If that's not it, I would check for wheel/tire balance.

Either one, of both, of these problems will cause what you describe. They are easy to fix for the dealer and they should not charge you anything, since it is a new bike.

Sometimes, the wind might make the bike feel unstable but it will not be always at the same traveling speeds, as the wind speed and direction change. Some bikes, like the Street Glide, are supposed to have somewhat unstable front end due to poor aerodynamics but this is supposed to be fixed with aftermarket windshields. I have not experienced it on my '09 SG with either the stock or taller aftermarket windshield. So, I guess, it depends...

this may sound crazy but check rotation direction on tires with these new counter tread directions it is not unusual for misdirection of tires

Thanks for all the replies. When I bring it in to the dealer early next week, I'll have them check for balance/loose issues. I'm heading out today and going to try to isolate with more detail when the problem happens. In particular, is there a certain speed that causes the issue. Hopefully, the more details I can provide the tech at the dealership, the better.

Bottom line, if you feel this is a problem...the bike is under warranty so get that bike checked and on record. Something is wrong, but TQ has the right idea...if you have a top box, check if this weight high up affects handling. Then have tire pressure, cable/control routing, steering bearings loosen (check the fallaway while your at it). As a check only, adjust the air pressure up by 5 lbs temporarily and see if it makes a difference when you pass at speed the exactly the same way you experienced the wobble to see if it makes a difference, but only do one thing at a time, tested over several days to be sure, and then return changes back to isolate problem. When troubleshooting, at the dealer or by yourself, keep it simple disturbing things as little as possible to isolate the cause, not the effect.

Last edited:
You didn't say what tire you have on the front end. Lots of owners are having problems with the D407F which was put on the early 09 touring bikes. Handling and wear problems are now starting to show up. Later production 09 bikes have the "updated" D408F front tire which seems to have eliminated the problems associated with the D407F tire.

I bought my 09 RG a little over a month ago and have not experienced this issue. I have about 900 miles on it.

the front end bearings may not be tight my 2001 was sold new this way set up was not good was unstable till i took it apart i thought this was the way it was or the street may have grooves in it that area mb

Looking at it from a different angle,what type of pavement were you riding on when the wobble occured? The front tire will try & follow grooved or cracked sections of roadway, making the front end feel wobbly----some brands of tire have this tendancy more than others.

I have an 09 streetglide and I noticed it a little at highway speeds. Everything seemed to be tight and I could not find a problem. At 130 mile I put on a klock werks contourd windshield and the bike feels much more planted. I read on the klock werks website that the contoured windshied puts more down force on the front tire. They advised that at highway speeds with the stock setup minus 10-15 pounds of downforce on the front. I don't know if it works but I haven't noticed any problem after the new windshield. Another thing is the rear shock pressure. I have found if its to high for my weight the little variations in the road are more pronounced. I also noticed that many roads down here in Florida are pitched to one side or another. Just some of my thoughts and observations.

Back