free website stats program Winter Vacation Time | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter Vacation Time

oldhippie

Four more days till we head out for a nice winter vacation. The Mistress is loaded in the Toy Hauler/Camper and ready for a warmer snowless climate. Heading west to Vancouver Island to visit our youngest daughter then drive down the west coast and cross into Arizona to spend some time in Yuma. Then head further east to New Orleans by beginning of February where my better half will meet up with her cousins & aunts for a Caribbean cruise. I'll hop on the Harley to tour Louisiana while they're gone. Then back to Yuma for March before heading back home.

Sounds like you will have a nice long vacation to relax the mind.Please post a lot of pictures so we can be jealous;)

20200112_125658.jpg 20200112_150949.jpg 20200112_150934.jpg 20200111_135634.jpg 20200112_125653.jpg We're back early from Arizona thanks to the covid-19 virus going around. No symptoms so far but self-isolating for a couple weeks to be sure.
We had a great time but almost didn't make it through BC thanks to a couple close calls and one accident in a Strathmore Alberta gas station lot.
In Strathmore we were going around the diesel island after fueling and some kid come flying around the front of the store and collided with the right front bumper of our truck. Lucky it was a slow speed impact and he missed my front wheel so the truck was still driveable.
About an hour east of Golden BC going downhill I had to take the snow filled shoulder to let a semi pass. We were all behind a slow moving car on the snow packed hwy and the semi driver got impatient. He decided to pass us just before a blind curve and a semi was coming the other way on the 2 lane. I applied the brakes and moved to the shoulder while he passed between us and the other semi. Ten minutes later a fool in a small car did the same thing, downhill pass at a curve with an oncoming semi forcing me to the shoulder to save his bacon. Lucky for us the shoulder was fluffy snow and with a guardrail to see where the edge was.
Had a good visit with our daughter and her bo.
Pictures of Craigdarrock Castle and Hatley Castle in Victoria BC. Scenes from X-men were filmed at Hatley Castle. One is a view from the rear of Hatley Castle and the mammoth was from a museum in Victoria.

We'd crossed over into Washington at the Aldergrove BC crossing without any issues from US border services. Made it to Tigard Oregon that day and Redding California the next. Me and my bright idea decided to head west to the coast from Redding. Was interesting to say the least when we were stopped by a hwys worker at the start of the mountain climb where he asked if we had chains for our trailer tires then told us we shouldn't have a problem since our truck had winter tires and was 4wd. Two rock slides later on the hwy made us wonder on my sanity. The first bigger slide was older and is in the pictures. The second slide was earlier that day and smaller. Heavy snow at times and wet roads made for a slower drive. We only made it to Ukiah that day And camped at Three Rivers California the next. We were planning on going into the Sequoia NP to view the giants but turned back at the park entrance when told we'd need chains for the truck to get up the mountain due to the ice on the road. Decided to leave it for another trip.
The next day we made it to our campsite in Winterhaven California where we stayed for a week before heading to Louisiana.20200115_154807.jpg 20200116_110203.jpg 20200118_135123.jpg 20200118_135134.jpg 20200128_073155.jpg 20200128_073125.jpg 20200128_102209.jpg 20200128_102330.jpg
The picture of our trailer and truck is when we camped between Rose City and Vidor Texas.

Attachments

• 20200115_154807.jpg
    20200115_154807.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Back