free website stats program Windows10 | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Windows10

I downloaded and installed it on an older Windows 7 laptop. So far I'm not a fan of 10. My primary laptop is an 8.1 with a touchscreen, and it may be I'm just used to that OS...

10's start menu, to me, is clunky and hard to use. They have partially duplicated the Pokki start menu from 8.1, The Edge "app" is just a duplicate of the tiles from 8.1, it's useless. MS wants to force you to use Edge by making it initially difficult to find IE 11.

It was initially a pain to just my security cameras to FTP to the OS. FTP security differences required accessing everything from admin tools, to the firewall to deep into the FTP set up for the users. It took a few hours but I got all my camera connected and they are storing photos and video without an issue.

I also had problems with the OS dropping the connection to my weather station software. I had to tweak the settings for the USB doggle that connects to the weather station and the settings in the program that uploads the data to the online weather sight.

The graphics of the OS tiles and apps are tablet style. To me they are dull.

I use both my laptops to access my work network and the SCADA system. Because of those security requirement, it took a while to get 10s security setting to mesh with Sonicwall and access requirements of the network. Again, it's more complicated then it should have been.

One other thing that I do not like is if you use the automatic setup and default WIFI access settings, any of your contacts, when they are with range, will automatically access your network/laptop via your WIFI.

Nothing like having a GIANT security issue just so your contacts don't have to ask you for you home network WIFI password. I have contacts listed that I would never automatically give access to my home network, or to my laptop's WIFI.

That access can be turned off after the fact, but I suggest anyone who installs 10 not use the automatic setup configurations. Go through them to make sure you are enabling features you want and disabling features you don't

Last edited:
I also downloaded Windows 10. So far so good, no major glitches. Still tweaking all the settings. Did have an issue removing broken links/folders from the Favorite Bar. Took several attempts from various points of attack to make them finally go away. Glad to have the 30 day opt out option, just in case...

Back