free website stats program Why do you own a "Harley Davidson" motorcycle? Lets tell the world! | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why do you own a "Harley Davidson" motorcycle? Lets tell the world!

I've ridden Harleys since I got my first Sportster in 1971. I always felt that they were a real example of the American spirit, until I read the New York Times today. On the Economics page, there is a story about how, after reporting a record $71 million profit last quarter, Harley is going to lay off 1600 workers...just to increase their profits. (EDIT) the people who work for them, (EDIT) the working class people who have been their supporters for over 100 years - all that matters is putting a few more bucks in the hands of their management and stockholders. After almost 40 years and 11 different models, my '04 Road King is the last Harley I'll ever buy.

...ehm...

all this is called "Capitalism"....

.... and USA have been the leaders of it for a looong time!

Only recently surpassed by one of the very few "formally" Communist Countries left...

Life is strange!

Ciao
Ugo

I've ridden Harleys since I got my first Sportster in 1971. I always felt that they were a real example of the American spirit, until I read the New York Times today. On the Economics page, there is a story about how, after reporting a record $71 million profit last quarter, Harley is going to lay off 1600 workers...just to increase their profits. (EDIT) the people who work for them, (EDIT) the working class people who have been their supporters for over 100 years - all that matters is putting a few more bucks in the hands of their management and stockholders. After almost 40 years and 11 different models, my '04 Road King is the last Harley I'll ever buy.

Language or a work around are not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

One way to help HD hire back those that have been laid off is for more of us to buy a new HD.

It's terrible that people are losing their jobs but, I don't expect HD to make bikes for free. Fact is, you can't keep the same labor pool when the output of the product has been steadily declining the last two years.

Why do I ride a harley? Because it is a harley,the way it sounds,the way it looks,the way it handles and the way it rides. Look at the history behind the harley davidson. Enough said!

It is the only true American Iron. Victory may say The new American Motorcycle, but Harley Davidson is the ONLY AMERICAN Motorcycle.

Presently I don't own a Harley Davidson motorcycle. My last Harley was a 2005 Ultra classic. In 2008, I changed back to my previously joy motorcycle the Honda Goldwing. My purpose was to return to the quite sound and luxury ride of the Goldwing.

The quiet sound is one of the main reasons I didn't buy a new Goldwing. I love hearing my engine run.

One of the main reasons I went to Harley was the seating position; my knees can't take being bent at more than 90 degrees for any extended length of time.
Second reason - the sound, that throaty grumble is impossible to duplicate. Nothing like those that sound like a sewing machine or oversized mosquito. Or worse, can't hear running.
Third - The physical presence of my Ultra is very appealing
Ever since a buddy from work let me try the Sturgis H-D he was selling back in '86, I've wanted a Harley. Family priorities always came first so I was willing to settle for any other bike rather than go bike-less.

My Ultra is the only bike I've owned that my 83 yr old mother actually gushed over how beautiful a machine it is and how we must really enjoy it. The past bikes she wanted me to sell and quite riding:p.

Last edited:
My current HD I own because while at the stealership one day my loving wife saw it and said she had to have that bike....we traded in my sporster and rode it ( the Heritage ) home a few hours later.

One really great thing about owning a Harley: My brothers, sisters and in-laws actually buy me stuff for it (be it shirts or gift cards). Never once in the previous 25 years of riding Hondas did any of them ever do that.

If I tried to explain it we wouldn't understand! When it's right, there's many complex factors from many experiences that form our important choices and they cant all be easily explained but you know when it's right. My '09 RKC is perfectly right. :57: No other brand will do.:14:

I bought a Harley because it was the only bike that I have ever wanted. I guess it is so many things that I like about it. You can leave it alone, people will say it is awesome, you can change a couple of things here and there and it is still cool, you can completely change it, to where it looks nothing like what you started with, and the only people that will know that it is a Harley, is a Harley owner. As said, people who who own Harley, are friends without even knowing each other and will give a hand in any situation. I have experienced that in the short time that I have been riding.

It was mentioned that one harley owner will give a nod to another. This is so true. I have passed so many metrics and they all seem to hate Harley's! Why?

That and because it is AMERICAN!

For me it was a few things that drove me to HD. I was a sport bike guy when I was younger, but aging wrists and knees made me give up bikes. I have never liked the looks of anything but sport bikes, so I quit riding.

So about ten years goes by. I am a little older, I start to like the looks of bigger bikes. I start to enjoy chrome. I start to get a feel for my own history and the history of this country. I start to want to be on the road again, and for some reason now it is all about the cruisers. So I go looking. I look at the metrics, the BMWs, Goldwings, and everything else. Then I made the mistake of walking into a HD place. First thing I spotted was a nice looking Dyna. Took it for a ride and both the wife and I loved it, but we were not sure. Sales guy tells me he has a second showroom full of used bikes if I want to take a look... couldn't hurt right.

I got about half way down the row while taking a close look at each bike. My bride tells me I looked up, and two seconds later she knew we were in trouble. My eyes locked on the Heritage Softail, and ten minutes later we were on a ride. When we got back she said the ride on the Dyna felt better, and I told her she would enjoy it once we got her certified to ride and she could handle the bike. Me? I went home with the Softail!

So it was all about the looks and feel. I felt like I was part of the bike instead of sitting on top of it. The other thing that did not hurt was the instant acceptance. I could care less what other people think about my decisions, but having a bike that can go anywhere while not having to hear the little comments about buying metric is nice. There is an instant community with an HD that does not come with other bikes. Yeah there are still posers and elite bikers, but in general if you have an HD you are part of the brotherhood. Stock, modified, or pimped, you are still on a bike that has been built roughly the same way for years.

Back