free website stats program White, Black, Red whatever | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

White, Black, Red whatever

Recipe: Swamp Cabbage and Striped Neck Turtle Stew. (that's "strip ped" not striped)

iamdent and I tried this one day when I caught two big snappers on my trotline one morning.Took us about an hour to kill em an about another hour or two to (what I thought was skinnin em) then I had the wifey to put em in a pot and build what I suspected was gonna be called some turtle soup!! I ainna quiet sure what all she put in it but when I dipped me a spoonfull of that it was OMG!! spit,spit yuk yuk!!! . I swear I put it in a bowl and my dog would not eat it. As far as the cabbage you talked about lets just say it got smoked before we came up with the idea of of the soup......no more of dat for me!

Ha LOL, oh got a big kick out your post, love the way you express things. Some of those big turtles are kinda old and tough and you gotta cook them a little longer, with some more spices and more BEER. Ha. Not sure why it took an hour to kill um though ? One 22 shot usually does the trick. Guess you guys didn't have a gun with ya.

With the cabbage it does help to have someone experienced cookin that kind of stuff. I remember one year up on the St. Johns river my Mom's sister took one look at swamp cabbage all cut up and she said " I ain't eatun none of that " . But when she started smellin it cookin the way my Dad did it she changed her tune. He always sauted his cut cabbage and turtle a bit in bacon grease before he added in the some broth. Was mighty good to me.

Back