free website stats program White, Black, Red whatever | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

White, Black, Red whatever

I thought the term redneck came from some coal miners marching on a labor despute and wearing red bandanas?

Yea I'm aware of that one (in the 1930's) and tis true they did call them rednecks. If fact history shows a few other one time identity occurances of the terms use, one in Scotland. And of course today, the term is used by comedians and commentators to refer to people who are uneducated, close-minded and racist individuals.

But as far as the US is concerned, the term came from the late 1800's in southern Georgia and Alabama to refer to sharecroppers who worked in the fields thus getting a sunburned neck. They were called 'rednecks' as a term meant for hard working people.

My Dad's parents come from this group of people. You see after slavery was abolished, in an attempt to preserve the wealth of the south, the sharecroppers scenario was introduced. And of course back then there were no Mexican immigrants to speak of, since it was just about as bad in the south as it was in Mexico. So southern rednecks did all the work the slaves used to do. That was it's origin but it has evolved in all directions since.

Quoted from another site:
....... .... .....The marching Union Mine workers tied a red scarf/bandanna around their necks to identify themselves. A reporter who was covering this march coined the term 'Redneck'.

Yes that was true as said in my above post. Actually my wife's family comes from the coal mining country so I am well educated in that scneario. But none the less it is not the origin of the rednecks that I came from, as also said above. But thanks for posting that.

My wife is blonde, so we get all the blonde and redneck jokes. I used to know a lot of um, but the older I get I tend to forget them. My best joke now days is just showing up.

R_W_B, Its nice that you explained, but didn't have to. I treat people how I want to be treated. It doesn't matter to me if your black,brown,red,yellow,green,white or polka dotted.
The one thing that makes ALL the same is the color of our blood.

Ask any serviceman.

wilks3
:USA

Thanks wilks3, reminds me of what Smitty told me one time when I mentioned to him bout this cocky Marine I met on a PGR ride saying how the Marines had to show the Army how to finish the job in Iraq. Smitty said there ain't no green, blue or red in the military now days, it's all mixed purple.

Last edited by a moderator:
people getting too sensitive....can't say anyting unless your politically correct. I was born and raised in Northeast MI, currently live in Boca Raton, ya......the only REDNECK in Boca, work with doctors every day, tell people I'm a Redneck from MI all the time, and proud of it.

My Dad told me when I moved here 25 years ago "you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy" wow, was he right.

Doesn't matter whats on the outside, it's all about what is on the inside, can't wait to get back to the country life.

people getting too sensitive....can't say anyting unless your politically correct. I was born and raised in Northeast MI, currently live in Boca Raton, ya......the only REDNECK in Boca, .. .. .. .. .. . Doesn't matter whats on the outside, it's all about what is on the inside, can't wait to get back to the country life.

Hey garlab1, that's some nice beach area down where you are at. Did you know that Boca Raton is spanish for Rat Mouth. The spanish tend to say things backwards from the Engish. Boca means mouth, and Raton means Rat.
If you can make it, would love to meet you on the October Florida ride in Ocala.

Hey garlab1, that's some nice beach area down where you are at. Did you know that Boca Raton is spanish for Rat Mouth. The spanish tend to say things backwards from the Engish. Boca means mouth, and Raton means Rat.
If you can make it, would love to meet you on the October Florida ride in Ocala.

ya, them named it because of the boca inlet, looks like a rats mouth from the air, hope to make it for the october ride, not sur yet.

The term "redneck" was also use in the hippy era to refer to non-hippie type people. Since hippies wore long hair their necks were white and the short haired working people that were down on hippies and their drugs had sun reddened necks. They also usually had an attitude of " I'll kick your hippy tail if I get a chance".
Things have changed haven't they?

Very interesting reading here Dave, Kind of like a History lesson. I eat my grits every morning and love this southern food so if that makes me a redneck then so be it:s One thing for sure is we all have RED blood in our veins and That be that soooo Nuff said now lets RIDE

I have relatives in Georgia that are called "Hillbillies" (think "Deliverance"). When my Dad was in Vietnam, we went to live near my Mother's kinfolk in Georgia. While there, I visited the Hillbillies. They hunted raccoons...not for sport, they actually cooked & ATE them. Another delicacy was possum. They would live trap them, fatten them up on persimmons, then kill, cook & eat them. Chitterlings are another matter.
I didn't eat much while visiting them.

The term "redneck" was also use in the hippy era to refer to non-hippie type people. Since hippies wore long hair their necks were white and the short haired working people that were down on hippies and their drugs had sun reddened necks. They also usually had an attitude of " I'll kick your hippy tail if I get a chance".
Things have changed haven't they?

Oh man does this bring back memories. Glad you posted this up I had forgotten bout them times. Yea that's very true, when I got home from Nam there was a scenario that played out just like you said. After getting out of the Army I couldn't wait to grow my hair and meet some girls so I also had long hair (amazing if you've seen me now). But even back then I could only get mine to grow to the bottom of my neck. Just wouldn't grow much further. Didn't have good genes in the hair department. I can remember some 'Rednecks' that hated long hair (my Dad was one of um).

Very interesting reading here Dave, Kind of like a History lesson. I eat my grits every morning and love this southern food so if that makes me a redneck then so be it:s One thing for sure is we all have RED blood in our veins and That be that soooo Nuff said now lets RIDE

Yep, you gettun ready to head out to Sturgis soon ?

I have relatives in Georgia that are called "Hillbillies" (think "Deliverance"). When my Dad was in Vietnam, we went to live near my Mother's kinfolk in Georgia. While there, I visited the Hillbillies. They hunted raccoons...not for sport, they actually cooked & ATE them. Another delicacy was possum. They would live trap them, fatten them up on persimmons, then kill, cook & eat them. Chitterlings are another matter.
I didn't eat much while visiting them.

Ha enjoyed this one too since my wife's folks are from West Virginia and they are trully Hillbillies. In Georgia though you have to get way northeast up round Toccoa, Royston and Tallulah Falls to get any real hills. My Mom's parents are from that north part of Georgia and my Mom's Dad used to do Possum just like you said only he feed his possums cornbread and buttermilk. I've eat coon, but never eat much possum (other than just a taste). They are bout the ugliest looking animal, and they tend to foam at the mouth even when they don't have rabies. LOL . Don't let one of um bite you, they have razor sharp teeth. Anyhow thanks for posting that up, brings back memories to an older guy.

Recipe: Swamp Cabbage and Striped Neck Turtle Stew. (that's "strip ped" not striped)

iamdent and I tried this one day when I caught two big snappers on my trotline one morning.Took us about an hour to kill em an about another hour or two to (what I thought was skinnin em) then I had the wifey to put em in a pot and build what I suspected was gonna be called some turtle soup!! I ainna quiet sure what all she put in it but when I dipped me a spoonfull of that it was OMG!! spit,spit yuk yuk!!! . I swear I put it in a bowl and my dog would not eat it. As far as the cabbage you talked about lets just say it got smoked before we came up with the idea of of the soup......no more of dat for me!

Back