free website stats program White, Black, Red whatever | Harley Davidson Forums

White, Black, Red whatever

R_W_B

Just wanted to say this to anyone that might happen to take offense at the way I throw the term Redneck around. I don't mean that to be a pejorative connotation, and would hope that you understood that, being that usually I'm referring to myself, or friends or kinfolk when I use the term. Even my Forum Name (which I use on many different forums) of R_W_B admittedly has the tag of Redneck White Boy. Although actually the RWB nickname goes back even further to other connotations which I won't bore you with.

I have local friends who are Mexican, Oriental, one Iranian, one Russian, several Black friends, some Native American Indians and some white boys too. Yep white boys ain't the only ones that ride Harleys albeit one of my black friends ride a Yamaha touring model and one of them rides one of those Hayabusas that goes about 90mph in 1st gear.

Some of them like to be referred to as African American, but most of um I know just like the term Black. One of um even claims to be a Redneck, but I kid him that his neck just don't get red in the sun like mine does. All I know is that I try to judge a person by their character not by the color of their skin or by the label of their group or identity or religion.

Rednecks have been attributed many different ways including all the funny Jeff Foxworthly quotes. Webster's definition of it tends to sidestep the whole issue and only attempts to pin it down with the negative of 'sometimes disparaging'

Websters Quote: Redneck
1 sometimes disparaging : a white member of the Southern rural laboring class
2 redneck also red·necked adjective
end Websters Quote.

In fact what I call Rednecks are from all walks of life including Engineers and Doctors. It is anyone who relates to the common working man or any kind of honesty even in it's most common denominator. It relates to a strong work ethic, and a pulling your weight, and don't go along with slacking. It relates to creatitivty and common sense and making do with what you have and you don't steal from your neighbor.

My Dad came from dirt poor Georgia dirt farmers. They moved to Florida and when my Dad was old enough to work he quit school and went to work on a Pepsi Cola truck. He worked his way up over the years to manager of the Lakeland Pepsi Plant. Then later in life he quit Pepsi and became a Building Contractor. My Dad was never educated past the 7th grade but he was one of the smartest guys I have ever known. I'm not downing education, it's just that you can get it even outside of school if you look for it.

Although the term Redneck originated from those whom were not Rednecks and did in fact mean it to be pejorative. Us Rednecks over the years have learned to be proud of our tradition and heritage and have turned the negative around to a proud label. Kinda like we did with the term Viet Nam Vet.

Quite informative but rednecks usually have some good recipes too. :D

Recipe: Swamp Cabbage and Striped Neck Turtle Stew. (that's "strip ped" not striped)

Grab Sharp Axe and Machete and head into the edge of the swamp and find you a cabbage palm about 5 feet tall. You can use one smaller but not much to it, one larger tends to be too tough. Trim all the excess growth off the palm with the Machete till you get down to white skin and then cut the trunk off even with the ground. Haul it back to kitchen or camp. Finish trimming the tough outer skin off with a sharp knife. Experience it the only key here. You want the tender core. It's only gonna be about 2 inches diameter and bout 15 inches long.

Then grab your 22 rifle, a friend, a small boat and motor. Head into the creeks and tributaries of your nearest river. Position the shooter on the bow of the boat in a study position to draw aim. As the other person drives the boat around the corners of the creek, eventually you will come to a blown over tree or log etc and there will be several turtles sunnying themselves. Turtles (unlike humans) are always ready to meet their maker, so immediately start firing. The person maning the boat motor knows to keep heading for the log location with haste so you can grab the turtles before they sink.

Head back to the kitchen (or camp). If you did not get a soft shell turtle, it ain't no big deal. Rednecks know that ALL turtles have a tendony area between the top and bottom halves of their shells. You can remove the shell by severing this tendony area and then carefully filleting the back meat away. Of course most of the meat on turtles is in the legs and neck (and some varieties have a pretty good tail).

Cut up you swamp cabbage and turtle into small bite size pieces. Add spices as desired. Most Rednecks like salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne and tumeric. Simmer on a low boil for about an hour. Guaranteed to put some strength back into your bones. Goes better with beer.

Ummm, sounds good, but I have to ask the "usual" question: Do the local turtle "--taste and have the texture like chicken", or does it have a somewhat "dryer meat"...with a wild taste like "game"?

Ummm, sounds good, but I have to ask the "usual" question: Do the local turtle "--taste and have the texture like chicken", or does it have a somewhat "dryer meat"...with a wild taste like "game"?

Some turtles have the flavor of several different types of meat. The muscle cooks up like chicken but the legs have a different texture. Ain't bad at all but like R_W_B said better with beer. After 7 or 8 won't really matter what you eat...:cheers

Some turtles have the flavor of several different types of meat. The muscle cooks up like chicken but the legs have a different texture. Ain't bad at all but like R_W_B said better with beer. After 7 or 8 won't really matter what you eat...:cheers

Pretty much what Joe said. It does taste like chicken, but a tad it's own flavor. And it depends a bit on where they come from. That's even more true with some bottom feeders like mullet. I have eaten (mostly smoked) freshwater mullet all my life. Even fried some. But fried freshwater mullet can have a bit of an off taste from many of the rivers now days. If you want to see how good mullet can really be, fry some up that were caught over on the saltwater Ocean coast. They taste so much better than some of our polluted fresh water ones.

I thought the term redneck came from some coal miners marching on a labor despute and wearing red bandanas?

I thought the term redneck came from some coal miners marching on a labor despute and wearing red bandanas?

Quoted from another site:

19th century West Virgina saw conflict between coal Miners and Mine owners. Due to unjust conditions imposed by Mine owners, Miners formed a Mine Workers Union. Not all Mines were unionized and Southern West Virginian Mine owners worked diligently to prevent unionization.

10,000 thousand odd Northern Union Mine workers led a march to the southern non Union West Virgina where their brother miners were denied unionization . Southern West Virgina Mine owners employed law enforcement, politicians and 'private detectives' (nothing more than company employed thugs) to harass, intimidate , imprison and kill miners who tried to Unionize.

The marching Union Mine workers tied a red scarf/bandanna around their necks to identify themselves. A reporter who was covering this march coined the term 'Redneck'.

R_W_B, Its nice that you explained, but didn't have to. I treat people how I want to be treated. It doesn't matter to me if your black,brown,red,yellow,green,white or polka dotted.
The one thing that makes ALL the same is the color of our blood.

Ask any serviceman.

wilks3
:USA

Last edited:
Back