free website stats program Which Road Glide (3 choices)? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Which Road Glide (3 choices)?

One thing to check out on the two 05 bikes is if they had the valve stem seals replaced or not. There was a problem with that year and a recall was done. Excessive oil consumption was the result. The dealer should be able to get the info in their computer.

You didn't tell us of your age and riding style, but if you have any age at all on you then the 08 would be the right decision. The newer touring bikes have more creature comforts on them. You know, things like 6-speed trannys, that rubber ISO gizmo in the real hub, larger gas tanks, air shocks, stereo and cruise control.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Sometimes that's a good thing.

Ask yourself how do you want to use the bike. If it is bar hopping, bike night and tooling around town #2 will get you the attention.

If you just want something to ride and don't care about modifying the bike #1 or even #3 will fit the bill.

If you want a mildly accessorized ride that will go the distance on trips #3 or even #1 will work. It would be easy to make the mods on #1 that #3 has.

A couple of other things, if you have a significant other, ask for input (always a good idea, "if mama's happy everyone's happy") and one of them should "speak to you". When I picked my Glide I had it down to two bikes, one orange 07 totally stock with 25000 mi and a blue 06 with 8800 mi that had some mods that I would have done anyway, same price for either. When I saw that cobalt blue with silver stripe beauty, she just said to me :take me home big boy" and that was all it took.:bigsmiley13:

If you want a mildly accessorized ride that will go the distance on trips #3 or even #1 will work. It would be easy to make the mods on #1 that #3 has.

Yes, for another $2000! The point I think everyone is skipping over here is he said they're all the same price. OK, it's a 2005 but it's got less than 1000 miles on it and a lot of practical mods (not engine goodies) that we would probably all end up doing anyways. If it had the recall stuff done that Glider mentioned, I would get #3 if I could talk the price down a bit more, ride the heck out of it, all the while saving for a 2009 or 2010 so i could eventually get the '09 improvements and a warranty.

Nobody said choosing the perfect bike was easy!

In response to a few comments:

I'm 57 in May, VERY CONSERVATIVE in riding habits, and I really don't think my wife will be doing very much long distance riding. I have 3 friends (all Harley's) and 2 of them do long, week long trips several times a year. In fact, one has offered to give me his Tbag (he upgraded his Road King with a detachable Tour Pak) if I want to go the 08 route and get a luggage rack for now.

On any bike I get, I'll eventually look at a Stage 1 with aftermarket fuel management system. I will also end up going with a color matching Tour Pak and fairing lowers, yearly bonuses can pay for these. I plan to retire as soon as the bike is paid (or sooner if they offer the $25K early out) :naughty

I have looked at Craigslist (that's where I found the 08) and local ads where I found the other 2, but not many Road Glides come up, and they are usually high mileage (compared to Street Glides anyway).

The asking on both 05's is $600 more than the 08, but of course that is negotiable. I'm guessing though that I'd be lucky to get them down much more than $1K which will still be almost a wash with what I think I can get the 08 for.

I hope I've covered it all - except I'm pretty sure the modded 05 has not been abused.

What do I want? I'm partial to the orange color of the 08, and of course, my wife really isn't - so no help there.

If your stealing these bikes the 08 is good choice but best decision if you are paying close to retail is to buy an 09 inmho.First because it is a better bike than the other models and secondly because although I really think they are Harleys best model the price is usually discounted more than Ultra's and SG's.Don't forget my wife thinks I am usually wrong so take my advice lightly.

Talking $16,300 for the 08, I think I can get a little less. The 09 RGs around here are $21,000 (asking), and I've only seen 2 09's for sale. I don't what other states are offering, but the economy in this state is still pretty good, so no super deals.

I can also get an 08 SG (the pearl copper anniversary model) with 7,000 miles for $16,700 (asking). The prices are maybe a little higher than *bay, but I can see in person and no shipping required.

Last edited:
Back