free website stats program When it's Cold, How Cold is Cold | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

When it's Cold, How Cold is Cold

I live in south florida so below 70 is definitely nippy. Have been known to ride in the mid 50's with proper gear and a full fairing!

:khee :bigsmiley20: :lolrolling :newsmile030: 70* nippy !! Shoot 50* is good ridin weather here in E. Mo.!!!!

Just kiddin with ya Merlynn !!!

A ride even on a real cold day have be enjoyable.
Just gets a little harder each year older you get.

I hear you Smitty. It is amazing how a few years can affect your attitude and riding style.

At 55 yo I thought windshields were UGLY, at 61 yo they have become BEAUTIFUL

I live in south florida so below 70 is definitely nippy. Have been known to ride in the mid 50's with proper gear and a full fairing!

Ha ha ha. I've got the heat in my house set at 70 right now. ha ha. It's suppose to be 40 Thanksgiving Day here in Michigan. After filling my gut, I'm hoping to take a ride.

I ride an 03 Roadking with the stock windshield, I'm a Roadking man, bondified, fortified, certified. :D

Last year I invested in the HD heated Jacket Liner and the HD heated gauntlet leather gloves. By using these dudes and multi layers: long johns, denim, and full leathers (leather pants not chaps), and that thingy you put over your head to keep my "jowels" warm, I'm good to go. 13 degrees is the coldest that I have ridin'. I do recommend the heated jacket liner and gloves. Pretty user friendly for the most part.

Before I started using these my hands would get cold at about 35 degrees, even when wearing H-D heavy gauntlet gloves with glove liners....no more!

When the salt is put down, I submit to keeping the scoot off of the salt laden roads. That white dust gets all over your bike and when you put it in the garage unwashed, condensation can set in (my gargage is drafty) the condensation mixed with the white salty dust turns into an acid and and corrode big time.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Messed up some mags on my 97 RK years ago doing that.

I will ride sometimes when it is cold, but it makes me a little bit unsafe because I am thinking about how cold I am instead of what I am doing.

Our weather changes more often than my ex's mood (tho not as severely:bigsmiley30:) So the big concern is whether ice will be on the road on the way back. That means the cutoff here is at 1 degree above freezing on the way to work.

Only 15 minutes of city driving anyway, so cold is not an issue. For perspective, I ski too. If I get a day that's above freezing on the ski hill it's considered balmy. There's times I'm doing the same speeds on the hill as on the bike, so the wind chill is the same. At a hill in Quebec, we ski'ed when it was minus 35C at the base of the hill. At the top, with wind chill factored in, it was MINUS 70C. We ski'ed the whole darn day (although I did get frost bite on that piece of skin where the googles go over the ear piece of my glasses). Compared to that, cold is not an issue on the bike.

Ice, however, scares me to death. Any chance of freezing and the bike stays safely in the shed. And for the next 4 or 5 months, ice is always a threat.

Back