free website stats program Wheel Bearings ? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Bearings ?

I would also like to know if anyone has found a better quality replacement bearing, my fronts were replaced at 9k on my 09 EG and the rear around 15k. I'll be replacing the frt. brake pads so I thought it would be a good time to pull the wheel and ck. the bearings at 20k now.I have an extra set of HD bearings on hand just incase. Also what is everyone using to remove and install these seal bearings? I've been looking at Jims bearing remover/installer part# jim939 for around 250.00.

I would also like to know if anyone has found a better quality replacement bearing,

Really don't think your going to find one. The seals used on these bearings (all 6205's) were not designed to be the first line of attack when used against a direct spray of water and other elements. There needs to be some kind of primary seal or at least a "shield' first. These bearing seals are completely exposed to the elements. The fragile small lip seal that is used was not never designed to guard against a direct water attack.

By comparison, the rears are hard to check due to the drag of the belt. Taking off the wheel is just so much work.

As far as the HD 9276 bearing used on both my front and rear axles, it seems to be the common 6205 double seal bearing (SKF 6205 2RS-X). Nothing appears special about the original bearings that I removed.

But I don't know if a standard bearing was also used on the FLHTC models. Would you know the dimensions of the bearing because you can't cross it by part number alone.

No Hoop, mine is a HD-9247. I've still got the 1" axle...starting with the 08s Harley went metric, and started using (I think} a 24mm axle. So the bearings are different after 07.

And as far as pulling the bearings.......Harbor Freight makes a "Blind Hole Puller"...item #95987....that works just fine. I bought mine on sale for I think 39.95.
It has colletts to pull anything from 3/8ths to 1 1/4 !D

Thanks GS35, I think I'll give Harbor Frieght's puller a try. I was thinking of press in, press out type of puller but a slide hammer should be just fine and make my own press. My bearings are 25mm ID part# 9276.. think I can make a 1in. puller work.

Thanks GS35, I think I'll give Harbor Frieght's puller a try. I was thinking of press in, press out type of puller but a slide hammer should be just fine and make my own press. My bearings are 25mm ID part# 9276.. think I can make a 1in. puller work.

if you have trouble with the slide hammer ie lots of slapping and no movement unscrew the slide hammer from the head turn the wheel over and use long 1/2" sq drive extension place it through the wheel and onto the puller head and smack downwards with big hammer worked for me
you can use some threaded bar and a couple of sockets and large washers to press in the new bearing

Brian

if you have trouble with the slide hammer ie lots of slapping and no movement unscrew the slide hammer from the head turn the wheel over and use long 1/2" sq drive extension place it through the wheel and onto the puller head and smack downwards with big hammer worked for me
you can use some threaded bar and a couple of sockets and large washers to press in the new bearing

Brian

Brian, I have an old extension that is used only for Driving bushings and Bearings. I have large sockets that cover the bushings and bearings. Have used this method many years, in fact used it today @ work on stubborn I beam bushings on a Ford, Guess who won that battle?:s

Brian, I have an old extension that is used only for Driving bushings and Bearings. I have large sockets that cover the bushings and bearings. Have used this method many years, in fact used it today @ work on stubborn I beam bushings on a Ford, Guess who won that battle?:s

I think Jack that you are like me and are too stubborn to let anything defeat you
My boss sometimes says dont waste too much time on it so i growl at him as i dont ever want to be defeated by broke stuff and so far i usually win

Brian

I think Jack that you are like me and are too stubborn to let anything defeat you
My boss sometimes says dont waste too much time on it so i growl at him as i dont ever want to be defeated by broke stuff and so far i usually win

Brian

Old school Brian a Dying Breed Quite the compliment to us dont ya think?:s

Back