free website stats program Wheel Bearings ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Bearings ?

Any time I replace my tires I always replace the bearings , maybe I`m fussy but I would rather replace them, than loose one miles from home

Jack brought up the point...be very careful when washing your bikes that you do not pressure wash wheel bearing areas, starter motor cavity and above the side covers or other electrical areas. Most H-D motorcycles I have seen have the electricals likes fuse and relay areas open to the air without tight fitting covers that even cagers have. When washing your bike, I would put baggies over everything that you "intuitively" do not want water to get in. All it takes is getting water in the wrong place, dissolved minerals and dirt will do the rest...!:(

It's funny this thread came up. I have had my bike out a few times this winter when the sun has poked its head out and on a couple of Patriot Guard missions and just got around to cleaning it up. I have 8200 miles on it and have never had running water on it, always gave it a good sponge bath. I noticed the left side of my front wheel bearing is wet but the right is dry. I guess this an indication that it is leaking?

It's funny this thread came up. I have had my bike out a few times this winter when the sun has poked its head out and on a couple of Patriot Guard missions and just got around to cleaning it up. I have 8200 miles on it and have never had running water on it, always gave it a good sponge bath. I noticed the left side of my front wheel bearing is wet but the right is dry. I guess this an indication that it is leaking?

I would check it out soon, dont like surprises:s

Any time I replace my tires I always replace the bearings , maybe I`m fussy but I would rather replace them, than loose one miles from home

That is what I am going to start doing. No better time than having the wheel already off. A set of bearings don't cost much, and it's not a big deal to change them out.
(that is if you have deep groove ball bearings & not taper roller. :))

I had almost 70k miles on my classic with no problems. I exchanged my wheels for chrome ones, so I had to get new bearings. But as far as I know the old ones were still turning fine!

I had almost 70k miles on my classic with no problems. I exchanged my wheels for chrome ones, so I had to get new bearings. But as far as I know the old ones were still turning fine!

Don't believe your 2002 has the new sealed deep groove ball bearings. Pretty sure your taper roller.

Jacked up the bike today to do some cleaning and noticed some bearing noise coming from the front axle. 12K miles and 1 bearing was bad. After pulling both bearings (6205's) out of the hub, several drops of water was on the inside spacer. The face of the inside of the bearing had rust on it. After removing the inside bearing seal, the bearing was loaded with rust & water.

Appearance from the outside was perfect. Looks like the inside seal gave up and let water in. I think somehow water must have wicked along the axle to the inside of the hub. There was water inside the wheel hub. Had to be at least 10 drops.

At $60.00 extra per wheel ($29.95 each) that could get expensive, if you do any amount of riding at all.
Has anyone been able to cross these bearings over to another supplier...or are we stuck buying them from Harley?
I tried briefly to cross-reference them on line, but did not have any luck.
I would think if you were able to buy a bearing with the same spec from another supplier, you could probably buy it much cheaper...and quite possibly...a better bearing.

Has anyone been able to cross these bearings over to another supplier...or are we stuck buying them from Harley?

As far as the HD 9276 bearing used on both my front and rear axles, it seems to be the common 6205 double seal bearing (SKF 6205 2RS-X). Nothing appears special about the original bearings that I removed.

But I don't know if a standard bearing was also used on the FLHTC models. Would you know the dimensions of the bearing because you can't cross it by part number alone.

Back