free website stats program What to wear | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What to wear

I often get people asking me why I choose to wear a full length jacket during the middle of a hot southern summer. From what I've experienced so far, yeah it's hotter, especially at stop lights, but a good vented jacket at 60 mph feels a lot better than skin grafts after a slide at 60 mpg. There is also the fact that at some point, you benefit more from having skin covered from the sun and to hold in moisture than to burn and overheat because you lose sweat too quickly.
My thoughts exactly!

Yesterday a Fireman out riding failed to negotaite a curve and laid it down in front of a slow moving Sherriffs cruiser wich in turn ran over the bike The rider was wearing shorts and flip flops ( and was charged with OVI) was pretty torn up with road rash. The whole incedent was caught on the Cruisers Camera. Ouch

no he went wide in a curve and crossed into the path of the cruiser, the deputy was traveling about 35 looking for an address at the time. when he laid the bike down he was right in front of the cruiser good thing the sherriff wasnt running the posted speed you can see this at whiotv.com

I'm not in the cool club.

I regularly ride with shorts/sneakers/no helmet ... to make things even worse I sometimes partake in alcoholic beverages while riding... one day I will learn my lesson .. Ive only been riding for 31 years .. started when I was 8 .. so I still have a lot to learn.

When on the track or riding motocross I do gear up 100%

...I havent been riding for that maney years and know thair are better riders than I...I worry mostly about geting hit ....I should whair a helmet and one day I may learn my lesson....I dont partake in drinking and riding,,,,,,Im just not that good of a rider...When I raced cars I did gear up 100 percent....:)...Whats the cool club???Im new

To each, their own.
I don't necessarily think age matters either.

I think I can understand why you would like to ride that way. I can see where it could make an individual feel more relaxed, cool (temperature), free or whatever adjective you want to use. I tried it twice, meaing I rode in just jeans boots and a T-shirt, as compared to my typical armored jacket, chaps and a helmet.

But I have always enjoy sports where I have to put on "gear". Football, lacrosse, mountain and rode biking and now MC riding. Having well fitting and functional gear is a part of my enjoyment and separate from the protection they offer. They make an obvious link to what you are doing, for me. You see a rider enter in full leathers and a helmet, I think: they are serious about what they are doing. A sense of commitment and pride in their hobby/recreation/way of life. If I see "weathered" gear over new, I think, "Veteren rider".
You roll in wearing short and flip flops....I don't know.....
I know I am making some judgements that could be incorrect and I am not saying I act on them. Only my initial thoughts, is all.

Last edited:
:porter.....I think you are wise to ride with all that gear.....I where just jeans ,boots gloves, and jacket,,,,,I should put on a helmet but I would just hate to have all the ladies miss out on my good looks...:p...Now as far as shorts and flip flops.....Well when I see that after I get done..:newsmile100:..I cant help but think,,, after a bee went up your shorts and stung something would people still where shorts??..Some things I wont leave unprotecten..:newsmile055:..But what ever ...No offence to aneyone..In some parts a lot of people whair all kinds of things...

Back