free website stats program What to wear | Harley Davidson Forums

What to wear

tumma

I see a lot of people lately wearing muscle shirts, sandles and shorts when riding their bike. Is it just me but are they nuts or just have no idea how much
they are going to hurt if they go down! Over the years i have seen some pretty bad scares and lost toes because of the clothes they had on. What do you think .Ride safe

With riding a Harley it is almost impossible to not get burnt from the exhaust with shorts on let alone trying to hold up a 800lb plus bike at stops with sandals. Really makes you scratch your head. Huh....

I know what you mean tumma. The other day I almost flipped out because I had a guy on a rice burner pass me on the interstate doing about 80mph and wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and sneakers. No shirt or anything. All I could think of is how much he's going to regret that someday. It's like any other risky behavior. You might get away with it for awhile but eventually it's going to come back to bite you. I just hope he learns his lesson before he gets killed.

I see a lot of people lately wearing muscle shirts, sandles and shorts when riding their bike. Is it just me but are they nuts or just have no idea how much
they are going to hurt if they go down! Over the years i have seen some pretty bad scares and lost toes because of the clothes they had on. What do you think .Ride safe

I think they're tempting fate and haven't had that near miss yet or they're totally oblivious to the increased risk they are taking. But to each his own. Hopefully they can learn before something bad really happens to them.

I've done the wearing a muscle shirt thing at times when younger but quickly realized hitting those big bugs really do hurt:newsmile030:. I never really could understand wearing just sandals. I kinda like having toes so I've always worn work boots to protect my feet while riding. And burning my legs on the exhaust is just downright nasty. Gotta wear jeans to protect my legs.

Unfortunately some do have to learn the hard way. Some of them aren't able to ride after they learn their lesson either. :p

I often get people asking me why I choose to wear a full length jacket during the middle of a hot southern summer. From what I've experienced so far, yeah it's hotter, especially at stop lights, but a good vented jacket at 60 mph feels a lot better than skin grafts after a slide at 60 mpg. There is also the fact that at some point, you benefit more from having skin covered from the sun and to hold in moisture than to burn and overheat because you lose sweat too quickly.

Pulled up next to a riceburnner the other morning to take a closer look at the young lady riding it.
Full face helmit, tube top, dress pants and heels.
Must have been on her way to work and didn't have time to dress for riding. But heels.

Agree w/top - anyone of legal age & riding "chooses" what to wear before mounting up. Doesn't mean they'll choose wisely & IAW motorcycle safety foundation recommendations. Obviously they haven't (1) gone down on a bike (2) been horribly sun/wind burnt or (3) seen the aftermath of a motorcycle crash. It only takes one time to learn...

Last edited:
Not only i but i make
sure my wife has her boots and jeans on to. There is a kid in the neighbor hood i see every day riding with flip flops and shorts. Ijust want to buy him some boots so bad.:newsmile055:

Back