free website stats program What the?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What the??

TQuentin1

Ok I checked the codes and had no codes posted on any of the diagnostic codes.

Hoople:

1. The engine quits and so does everything else The best I can remember as in I am quite busy looking to not get run over.
2. Kill switch Yes the Bike acts like the kill switch has been switched off
3. ???
4. (5,6,7,) No other issues The Bike shuts down at highway speed and then restarts after a minute all bye it's self. I do not have to restart and it has never left me on the side of the road..

I have two other friends that have had the same problem. A 2006 Ultra
and a 2000 Ultra They have not resolved their problem either.

How can a bike start all by itself?
Does it engauge the starter and then let go? It would have to have a remote start sequence to do that. Or you need and exorcist!

How can a bike start all by itself?

If you are riding down the road and hit the kill switch, your bike will quit running and if you turn the kill switch back to run, your bike will start up "by itself" without you touching the starter. I think this is what he's talking about. He never actually pulls off the road and stops.

I'm wonder if it is not something in the ECM causing it.
I had a trike that had a strange electrical problem, just a little different than this one and it happened a number of time and the trike shop couldn't sell it. The trike would be parked and it would start itself. Their guys changed everything they thought was causing the problem. I changed out the ignition switch and the problem was gone.

If you are riding down the road and hit the kill switch, your bike will quit running and if you turn the kill switch back to run, your bike will start up "by itself" without you touching the starter. I think this is what he's talking about. He never actually pulls off the road and stops.
I get what you are saying, it just seemed odd to coast for 60 seconds as stated, in gear.

I am not sure you understand what I am asking you.

You said "the Engine quits and so does everything else....Plus it acts like the kill switch has been switched off".

Answers to BOTH questions 1 &2 can Not be "YES" because when you flip the kill switch, it does not kill your headlight.

When you say the Bike starts all by itself, are you saying you do NOT have to press the Right grip starter button? The starter pinion engages on it's own?

What I said was it acted as if the kill switch was shut off. I didn't say it was shut off.

As I am going down the road at Hwy Speed the bike engine shuts off as to weather or not everything shuts off I can't say for sure as I am more concerned with not getting run over at the time. My guess is only the motor shuts off. Then in a few seconds and as the bike slows it restarts without me having to do or touch anything.

Also while the bike is shut down I have tried hitting the start switch and nothing happens. Maybe I do need an excosist

Last edited by a moderator:
What I said was it acted as if the kill switch was shut off. I didn't say it was shut off.

As I am going down the road at Hwy Speed the bike engine shuts off as to weather or not everything shuts off I can't say for sure as I am more concerned with not getting run over at the time. My guess is only the motor shuts off. Then in a few seconds and as the bike slows it restarts without me having to do or touch anything.

Also while the bike is shut down I have tried hitting the start switch and nothing happens. Maybe I do need an excosist

Starter might NOT start the bike as it is in gear and clutch lever Not pulled???????

You make it hard to understand just What you are doing to Try to RE-start the bike... Compression against motor and turning over??
OR left in gear with clutch pulled while coasting with Dead motor?????

signed....BUBBIE

Now that is meaty with info and is something to work with. It is more in line with what Troy1225 suggests about the ignition just turning On/Off/On..

Ok, now the next chance you get,,, check to see if you happen to have a few codes logged. Delphi are good for grabbing codes. You just may have a few.

Lastly,, would you have the schematics for this bike.

I checked the Delphi codes yesterday NO codes in any secquence.. I have the Service Manual w/schematics. Yes it just like the ignition turning on/off/on. The only thing that I have tried to do to restart the bike is hit the starter switch which does nothing. The bike is in gear and the clutch is not touched. It restartes on it's own when it's ready?? I just got off the phone with a service tech and of course they want me to bring it in so they can search $$$$. I did get him to say I need to check the starter bolts for tightness as sometimes they loosen and it may cause the problem but he was just guessing. He also stated a ground short is possible. So I will check the bolts and run down the grounds. For no more than the times it has done this I would think if it was a ground or starter bold it should be happening more often.

I checked the Delphi codes yesterday NO codes in any secquence..

That is good, I was hoping for no codes bacause that makes it a "clean" turn off just like you were using the kill switch. The way I would approach it would be to piggy back a filement (NOT LED) lamp(s) to the system relay output pin. Upload the schematics that show the ECM pin out along with the main fuse group, ignition key & system relay. I will tell you where to place the lites. When the bike quits, immediately look at the lamps. The ones that remain lit vs which ones are out will tell you exactly what is going on.
Since the problem only happens only once in a while, I would strap a few lites on the bike in order whack it out in 1 shot.

If you lose electrical contact while the bike is underway, the bike will shutdown.
If you touch nothing.... and the bike is still moving....if electrical power returns.....the bike WILL restart.
After all, the bike is still rolling....in gear...and the clutch is engaged so the engine is being rotated by rear drive......would be no different than catching it in gear to start.
You need 3 things in order for your bike to run
An electrical connection to the electronics of 9+volts
Fuel being supplied to the injectors
an adequite air supply.
The absence of any one of these things will cause the bike to quit.
I am betting on the loss/interruption of electrical power.
Finding this source of interruption is the problem, and unfortunatly there is no quick fix.
I would inspect the wiring closely at any pinch points to see if there is any wiring rubbed thru or pinched where it could be grounding or losing contact. If you find nothing then you are going to have to check all connection points for loose pins/sockets or faulty contact points.
Being as your bike is an 07, there is also the remote chance that the problem could be being caused by the information stored in the ECM. Some of the earlier 07s needed to have Service Bulliten #903 performed. This bulliten solved a stalling problem that was common to these models when you backed off the throttle to let the engine slow to idle. The idle would drop too low and the engine would stall.
The dealer history, when they access your VIN, should show if this bulliten was necesary on your particular bike.

Back