free website stats program What if Harley Davidson designed....... | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What if Harley Davidson designed.......

There is somthing unique about the fit and finish of a Harley from the look of the motor primary setup to the quality of the leather on the seat. lots of companys trying to memic the look and feel of a Harley but all u have to do is park a Honda or Yamaha cruiser next to a Harley and that other bike will be put in its palce.
If Harley started actualy making other things like Tv, lawn mowers not just puttin there name on products made by others for them but acctualy making other things they might as well chang there name to Honda. That what great about Harley they make BIKES been makin them for over 100 years now. Not cars, musical insturments, or lawn care stuff they make MOTORCYCLES.

Sweet! Yup, very true about HD being loyal to the motorcycle. Have you ever bought something other than a bike that Harley sell? non-motorcycle related maybe? I've heard from gator508 that things like license plates and clothing are some of the things to be bought. I guess you would use these when riding of course but I have also heard about playing cards and golf caddies/carts.

Unfortuantely I have to design something completely different than a motorcylce, it has got to be AV equipment. Picture a loud speaker billowing out sound like a concert hall :)

Thanks David,

James

The first three things that come to mind when I think HD:

1. Torque
2. Quality
3. The feel you get riding a HD!

The third one is probably unique to each rider but for me it is knowing that when riding my Harley it is a classy machine! When I drive by many people you can see them look over at the bike and you can almost see the envy......I'm a luck man to have one!
Adding number 4. The smile on your face!

BTW James, you can use the 'Multi Quote' button and reply to four responses per post. :s

Great post and some great comments already. In general using the Harley brand on things is what they do, like trucks, even though they are Ford (sorry I'm one of those :) ) works for Harley. The brand Harley though does not sell the products as much as it is the options on the products.

Now much like the snow mobiles, if Harley were to expand they would have to stick with what they know, engines, wheels, etc. So a line of trucks, ATVs, or other products that are in alignment with what they know and are good at. People stick with Harley for the reasons noted above. Other then putting the brand on products and making them look more chrome like most are not going to buy these other products because they are Harley, only if they show an extension of their current product lines.

If they do decide to go in other markets they would need another logo and another brand, since Harley is established and well known as a motorcyle company period.

Hey,

Thats good to hear! How have the ford trucks been branded? is it like on the side of the wagon in tow? like advertising or simply just the Harley brand logo? Have the interiors of the ford trucks been furnished to feel, resemble the Harley image? How are the Harley fords different to the regular ford models?

Very true about the customer loyalty towards Harley. I just saw the harley snowmobiles for the first time about an hour ago, and I'm not impressed by the design haha.

I guess Harley would possibly need another logo, this would need to show similar qualities and styles of that of the current HD logo, just to differentiate between motorcycle and the new product. And of course the original Harley brand image wouldn't be entirely tarnished if anything went horribly wrong. If Harley were to mass produce different products that would come in several varieties then perhaps the brand would need a new outlook and image to attract new customers to the brand (those who don't own harleys or bikes).

Cheers,

James

Hey,

Thats good to hear! How have the ford trucks been branded? is it like on the side of the wagon in tow? like advertising or simply just the Harley brand logo? Have the interiors of the ford trucks been furnished to feel, resemble the Harley image? How are the Harley fords different to the regular ford models?

Very true about the customer loyalty towards Harley. I just saw the harley snowmobiles for the first time about an hour ago, and I'm not impressed by the design haha.

I guess Harley would possibly need another logo, this would need to show similar qualities and styles of that of the current HD logo, just to differentiate between motorcycle and the new product. And of course the original Harley brand image wouldn't be entirely tarnished if anything went horribly wrong. If Harley were to mass produce different products that would come in several varieties then perhaps the brand would need a new outlook and image to attract new customers to the brand (those who don't own harleys or bikes).

Cheers,

James

Ford and Harley both started in 1903, The Ford - Harley trucks have special logos on the outside and logo on the dashes a dding a higher price tag pretty smart marketing IMO

Haha, so its pretty much the engine your in love with. I was told that either this angle of the twin engine or the positioning of the exhausts, boosts the sound level of the engine? is this true?

Thanks Karl,

James

Hi James
Heh, heh - yes you got that right!
The non-ideal 45 deg angle between the cylinders is what makes the offbeat idle sound.
The non-ideal aircooled design gives an added dimension to the sound (not muffled by water)
And of course the non-ideal pushrod design (as opposed to over-head cam(s)) and pipes adds to the orchestra;).

My point is; anyone can list a pile of things that are non-ideal/antiquated on a Harely, but that's part of what I love about them; they are the way they are due to heritage and tradition - not due to a modern day design descision.

Speaking of heritage:
Yesterday, I went to get an oil seal and a camshaft thrust washer, part nos:83162-51 & 25554-36.
James, you probably don't know this, but the last two digits give the year of introduction of that part - now if that's not cool, I don't know what is...

Ford and Harley both started in 1903, The Ford - Harley trucks have special logos on the outside and logo on the dashes a dding a higher price tag pretty smart marketing IMO

Bought my wife a new truck last month F150, we saw the HD edition on the lot $54,000 smacaroonies!!

That's a Great piece of information to know. I had no clue that was the case. Where/how on earth did you ever find that out?

Hi Hoople
-And in addition, a letter is added at the end of the number when they revise the part, but it still fits the original application. If they change the part so it doesn't fit anymore, they will change the year part of the number.
It is useful sometimes when looking for parts, especially when you own an older scoot...

An old biker I used to know taught me that plus a few other things back when I got my first Harley (he wasn't that old but older than me)...

The weight of my worries being lifted off my shoulders with the miles. The feel of the environment that have not been taken out of by closing a door. The rumble of the road and machine beneath me.

It is my belief that you can do a lot of good things however, it is hard to do a lot of things well and greatness seems to fall to those who have specialized. Although the conglomeration has it's appeal, there is the cost associated with it. The, "At a boys," are quickly forgotten with an, "Oh, (EDIT) ," or two. The bigger and more diverse the conglomerate, the easier it will be to fall prey to the issues of logistics and different realities of the different items. Although, I believe it is wise to invest in mortgages or insurance. Those are industries which can be managed through diversity and scale. Again these are investment options which are regulated and do not take additional production set up expenses and there is no, "Re-invention of the wheel." This prevents the waste of critical research and development capital. :newsmile049:

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi James
Speaking of heritage:
Yesterday, I went to get an oil seal and a camshaft thrust washer, part nos:83162-51 & 25554-36.
James, you probably don't know this, but the last two digits give the year of introduction of that part - now if that's not cool, I don't know what is...

Bejaysus! Now that is seriously cool!! I'll be making sure that the parts in the subwoofer can be replaced just like this. That is sweet!

And Smitty901, yep you probably are true. After all, Harley is a great, well known brand isn't it.

Question to everyone: chrome or paint? which one do you prefer? :)

Back