free website stats program What if Harley Davidson designed....... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What if Harley Davidson designed.......

lol, its some were up to around $324.00 a share!
still laughing! its been a while since you bought apples!

1. The engine with its 45 deg. cyl separation & pushrods
2. The engine with its under-square design (long stroke/heavy flywheel)
3. The engine with its simple aircooled design

Oh, and the sound of the engine is not bad either;)

I pretty much agree with Hoople on this subject. Yea, I got the bike and some of the other Harley stuff, license plate frame, clothes, Christmas ornaments, etc...but if Harley started doing a lot of other stuff, say, fishing gear, TV's, radios, I would not be on board to partake in buying it. They are a motorcycle company and should stick to what they do best. JMO.

Classic sound of the engine, Ability to make her fly, and the ability to set off car alarms and make motion lights come on when you ride by lol

There is somthing unique about the fit and finish of a Harley from the look of the motor primary setup to the quality of the leather on the seat. lots of companys trying to memic the look and feel of a Harley but all u have to do is park a Honda or Yamaha cruiser next to a Harley and that other bike will be put in its palce.
If Harley started actualy making other things like Tv, lawn mowers not just puttin there name on products made by others for them but acctualy making other things they might as well chang there name to Honda. That what great about Harley they make BIKES been makin them for over 100 years now. Not cars, musical insturments, or lawn care stuff they make MOTORCYCLES.

Welcome to The Forum and your first post. To me it is the vibration of the motor. Harley has Thousands of copyright protected products including playing cards to pool sticks. Back in the world war days they produced ammunition for the war machine, they had there own line of snowmobiles @ one time also, as far as other products they need to focus on Motorcycles IMO:s

Hey Jack,

Thanks for replying!

It's good to know they have designed and produced other products using the HD styles. I just had a look at the snowmobiles, I'm not too keen on the whole design of these, what do you guys think? anyone owned/ still own one? I'm sure at the time they were designed to be contemporary, but I don't get the feeling they were designed to be a classic, timeless piece of design.

Thanks again,

James

It's Americana! A family tradition for me, not to mention the commraderie. Back in the 70s' when AMF bought Harley Davidson, They built many things and put the H.D. logo on them. Golf carts just happens to be one of them. I'm actually surprised they did'nt put the logo on bowling pins! I personally love everything about Harley Davidson, The sound of the V-Twin, comfortability, low end torque. It's freedom! For some it's a status symbol, but for the people like myself, it's a way of life. My Harley is part of who I am. I hope that helps answer some of your questions.:hii

Hi,

The golf carts are sweet! I'd love to use one of these when I play a round of golf!

It's good to know how HD can become a part of peoples lives. To me that's good design! and good business too haha.

Thanks,

James

The first three things that come to mind when I think HD:

1. Torque
2. Quality
3. The feel you get riding a HD!

The third one is probably unique to each rider but for me it is knowing that when riding my Harley it is a classy machine! When I drive by many people you can see them look over at the bike and you can almost see the envy......I'm a luck man to have one!

Hey whacko,

I'm one of those guys! The HD is one of those things that will always be a headturner, maybe its down to the sound roaring past me, and at a second look I really take in that experience. The sound of HD is unique!

Where would sound rank on your list?

Cheers

James

"If I have to explain you wouldn't understand" Just kidding, just thought I would use a old H-D slogan....

Haha! I love it!! know any more slogans?

James hope this video helps. also check out the threads for "how old are you" and "what is your line of work". hope this helps

YouTube - Harley-Davidson 'Live By It' official advertising

Hey Lorne,

Thanks for the vid, well worth it.

James

SOUND
ITS A HARLEY DAVIDSON.

I;'d like to see a full line of lifetime warranty hand tools, like craftsman has,(sears)
Aplliances, for shops , like fridge, drink machines.

ATV 4wheeler- that has the same rumble as harley has -i'd buy one asap!!!!!!
they would sell millions of them if they sold them!!!!!!

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply. It's interesting to know about the lifetime warranty issue, I guess the Harleys are built to last right?

Haha, I can imagine a quad right now haha! Actually the product I am desgining is AV equipment, i have this image stuck in my head of a bass speaker rumbling accross a room!

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post and some great comments already. In general using the Harley brand on things is what they do, like trucks, even though they are Ford (sorry I'm one of those :) ) works for Harley. The brand Harley though does not sell the products as much as it is the options on the products.

Now much like the snow mobiles, if Harley were to expand they would have to stick with what they know, engines, wheels, etc. So a line of trucks, ATVs, or other products that are in alignment with what they know and are good at. People stick with Harley for the reasons noted above. Other then putting the brand on products and making them look more chrome like most are not going to buy these other products because they are Harley, only if they show an extension of their current product lines.

If they do decide to go in other markets they would need another logo and another brand, since Harley is established and well known as a motorcyle company period.

For me if Harley started making televisions and sportswear sold at the malls it would dilute or water down the name and would hurt them. Companies should not have to be something for everybody. I love my bike for sure, but in my opinion, I feel Harley already makes too many different models of bikes. For 2011 there are 34 different models. You can't sell the needed numbers of each and every model to offset the setup costs. It just can't be done. I feel it's a big part of the reason why we are seeing dealerships closing.

But whatever you do, don't quote me unless you want to get an F in your course!:)

Hey,

How many HD models are there!? Out of interest, how many models were there in 2010 & 2009? just trying to work out what their business plan is like from a designer's perspective. Yep I understand that if HD made TVs it probably wouldn't end well. The product I'm designing is in fact AV equipment, I'm hoping this stroy ends with a good grade haha.

Cheers,

James

lol, its some were up to around $324.00 a share!
still laughing! its been a while since you bought apples!

WOW. anyone know what happened when Steve Jobs handed in his sick leave?

1. The engine with its 45 deg. cyl separation & pushrods
2. The engine with its under-square design (long stroke/heavy flywheel)
3. The engine with its simple aircooled design

Oh, and the sound of the engine is not bad either;)

Haha, so its pretty much the engine your in love with. I was told that either this angle of the twin engine or the positioning of the exhausts, boosts the sound level of the engine? is this true?

Thanks Karl,

James

I pretty much agree with Hoople on this subject. Yea, I got the bike and some of the other Harley stuff, license plate frame, clothes, Christmas ornaments, etc...but if Harley started doing a lot of other stuff, say, fishing gear, TV's, radios, I would not be on board to partake in buying it. They are a motorcycle company and should stick to what they do best. JMO.

Cool. I guess the hard thing for companies to do, is to venture into the unkown. So where we have christmas ornaments, I think any manufacturer would be interested in trying to make more profit in doing the obvious :)

Brand all revolves around customer loyalty to begin with. So in a sense you guys would be those customers the designers at Harley would be designing for, rather than them designing for everyone in the World to begin with. If they designed fishing rods, push bikes, laptops, lighting, pens, anything, the guys designing would design purposefully around their present customers to play safe.

Thanks,

James

Classic sound of the engine, Ability to make her fly, and the ability to set off car alarms and make motion lights come on when you ride by lol

Brilliant! you do this a lot? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the old days the question was if Harley made an airplane would you fly in it, The answer was NO:p

Back