free website stats program What exactly is so bad about Syn 3 oil in the crank case? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

What exactly is so bad about Syn 3 oil in the crank case?

I could fill and engine with 50% STP and it will not make any engine noise but you can bet it's not doing the job of lubing parts. years ago saw dust was added to quiet and engine down.
.. .. . .. . . .. . ... . ..

Yep, bunch of us in High School would not buy a used Muscle car without popping the differential plug and sticking in a 1/4" cotton rope just to check for sawdust. Was a common practice when trading in a car that had excess play (noise) in the differential.

I remember when STP was the craze (mid 60's) and everybody put it in their engines. My uncle ran a car repair garage and he showed me the goup build up on the inside of engines that guys had ran STP in for years. The Honey stick effect would never quite let go of parts once it began to break down from heat.

A good fully synthetic is money well spent for any motor but especially air cooled engines. A thicker mix like redline is good for gears (plan to try that next change) but thick alone don't mean nothing. It's the viscosity plus the friction reduction and thermal stats that you need to look at.

An OLD OILER working back when STP first came out: Bought an industrial bbl of the stuff.. Using it as it suggested BLEND, it worked Great then wanting to try other Mixes, Used it Straight on some of the bearings he oiled thru-out this then White River Mill (weyerhaeuser and Gone now)

His findings were good as a mix but Burnt out the bearings he applied it to STRAIGHT..

Jack you were lucky IF it worked good in yours... I could see the THICKNESS Need and adding LARD was also good Until it heated up.. Dogs would chase the bikes around Nipping at the heels of the riders.. Hmmm,,, Pork Chops

Kinda like the SMELLs when Diesels burning French Fry Oils ,,,, Makes me Hungry just at the thought..

signed....BUBBIE

French fry's and Pork chops HMMM tonight's supper:s

How many of you remember the product "slick 50" It was that oil additive with the Teflon particles in it. Can't understand for the life of me how that could be beneficial to an engine.

Slick 50 - Car Care Products

Here's a real interesting read on this product.

Slick 50 and other engine oil additives - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

I remember seeing that junk plug up oil screens in V-8 Chevy motors, Texaco oil company had a similar product way back before Slick 50 came along, never put much faith in snake oils JMO

Back