free website stats program What exactly is so bad about Syn 3 oil in the crank case? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What exactly is so bad about Syn 3 oil in the crank case?

I just bought a '04 Low Rider and since the previous owner used Syn 3 I just figured i'd stay with it. They charged me about $12.00/per qt WOW. does anybody have some advice on oild change intervals? This is my first bike in about 25 years, just getting back into it.
I probably wont put more that 1000 miles on the bike. Thanks for any input

That would be a few years between oil changes, doesn't the oil break down with time?
What type of oil (fully synthetic?) Thanks

That would be a few years between oil changes, doesn't the oil break down with time?
What type of oil (fully synthetic?) Thanks

Then change it at the very least once a season. It's the contaminants in the oil that degrade it from byproducts of combustion or moisture that can damage the internal engine components.

Good info. How can I tell if other brands are group 5 or 4? Is it on the label? Is Moblie 1 group 5? Thanks for the link it helped me understand.:D

Mobil 1 VTwin 20W-50 is a Group IV lubricant. According to Steve07 above, HD now has a full synthetic lube (not sure if it is called Syn3 or something else). They would not be able to call a Group III lubricant a Group IV, so if they are calling this lubricant a Group IV, it must be PAO based, and is a FULL synthetic. But HD is not a manufacturer of engine oils (or any other lubricant). So my suggestion is to go to one of the premium lubricant manufacturers and buy their FULL synthetic VTwin engine oil in 20W-50.

TQ

My belief with the "new" syn 3 is that it is just repackaged just as they called the old SYN3 a synthetic when it was a blend. It took many lawyers to get the Synthetic label on the bottle with the same old contents.

There are two Scremin Eagle Sny 3 synthetics. One is a blend. The other is a full synthetic. I haven't ever seen any talk about that oil. I got this from the Harley parts cataloge at their site

There are two Scremin Eagle Sny 3 synthetics. One is a blend. The other is a full synthetic. I haven't ever seen any talk about that oil. I got this from the Harley parts cataloge at their site

I would love to have them both analyzed to see the differences :D

That would be helpful to see if they made some real changes or just printed new labels. At a two dollar difference a quart I hope some changes were made.

Back