free website stats program What did you take your test on? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

What did you take your test on?

A new 1966 Yamaha 305 YM-1. The test here in South Jersey at that time was - leave the parking lot, turn left on the dead end street, do a figure 8 (no feet), stop at stop sign, return to parking lot, you passed! Hand signals only, of course, the YM-1 had no turn signals.

The current test here in SJ is too tight for big bikes. The cones are too close so most people rent scooters.

I had the "normal" one it delivered a whopping 11.5 hp. :laugh The CL 100S was the 5 hp model. The 5 hp rule was not enforced, at least not around Lantana. My best buddy had the SL 100, we were the Terrible Two. :laugh Big hair, big bikes, little brains. :lolrolling (the other kids in the AO had the Mini Trail 50's and 70's)

but did you cut the slide down to made it a 10 HP vs the 5 brake hp.
We thought the silde thiing was great trick only we knew about
FLA had a 5 brake Hp limit on restricted lic back then so the cb ,cl nd Sl 100 came with either slide in carb.
I was a bit before you I had the world famous CB 90 5 full screaming HP
My sister had a mini trail 50 :)

Starting riding in 1965 on a Suzuki 50cc street bike. I don't remember taking a driving test (been too long ago), so not sure if it was required in Texas at that time. Later on I had an "M" on my license, but dropped it in the late
'70s. Got married, had kids, quit riding. Early this year bought my '97 Road King after 20+ years of not riding. I took the Rider's Edge course a month or so after buying the Harley. We rode 500cc Buell Blasts. Easy bike to ride for the test on the last day of the course. In Texas all you have to do is take your course completion certificate to the DMV and take the written test. I was in and out of the DMV in 25 minutes. I highly recommend the Rider's Edge course to anyone. Great course put on by Harley-Davidson.

I took the Rider's Edge course through my local HD dealer. Took the test on a Buell Blast. Yeah, the course is for beginners, but to my surprise, I actually learned something. It was well worth it!!!

did the test in Montreal in 1980something. Yamaha 400 Maxim.
closed track, cones, figure 8, emergency turns, emergency stop, the works.
they changed the setup often enough u couldnt ask ur buddy who did the test the
week before.
the school offered students to take one of their 450 rebels,
doing the test on a big bike wasn't easy.. not impossible, just not easy.

I agree 101%. There's a video out there (I wish I could post it) guy just gets his 39000 Harley. You can tell as soon as he lets out the clutch he didn't have a clue. Bam, sure enough, into a parked car. The weight of the bike is the main thing. Thinking your good riding a 350lb bike is not the same as 700.

Back