free website stats program What did you take your test on? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What did you take your test on?

I was 19 and my bike was a brand new 1983 Suzuki GS550e.
Got it on a 2 for 1 sale at the Suzuki dealer.

Yeah you heard me right.
2 bikes for the price of 1.

Rode several years before, trail riding on mini-bikes, on the farm on a tote goat, mixed it up a little in the dirt long before I actually took the street riding test. Fortunately, I took the MSF course in two evenings of class and weekend riding course on Saturday and Sunday riding Hondas, Yamahas and Suzukis all around 250cc - 400cc. :s

I actually took the test on my new at the time 81 Yamaha 550 Maxim, I scraped up enough money (going to college on limited income) to buy it and passed. It was hard to turn the handlebars to full lock, keep your head turned all the way around the turn and heel the bike way over to keep inside the tight figure eight double lines 6" apart in both directions, straight up and straight back in a 6" double line on either side and drive up a hill, slant park, pull out and drive back down the hill to the DMV course in Petaluma. :57:

The best times came later that year I became a certified MSF instructor for the SCMC group training and touring all over Northern California with them. Have enjoyed touring, camping and going to races ever since. :)

Got my Harley just over a month ago and enjoy motorcycling even more, only problem is dealing with the Harley tax...I heard that boats "--are a hole (hull) in the water you throw money into...", but this iron horse needs more than just a little "hay" and a run to keep her happy and looking good! :newsmile093:

Last edited:
Took my test on a Suzuki 315cc way back in 1974 in my last year of high school.(Suzuki's version of a 350cc bike)

Been riding so long never took a test, when the state required one, at that point all you had to do was find a state policeman, arraiage to meet him somewhere like a parking lot, ride a figure 8, stop and go infront of him, and he took a rubber stamp with a "M" on it and stamped your regular license. I think it was a Honda 90 dirt/street bike.

Get yourself a copy of the "Ride Like A Pro" DVD, and purchase some of the cheap orange cones at Walmart. Go to a parking lot somewhere, set up the course and practice the obstacles for a couple of hours. No matter how long you've been riding you'll benefit from the instruction.

Our local ABATE chapter does this training all the time, and afterwards there are always many folks that attest to how much they learned.

The cone weave, and U-turns are easily done on any size motorcycle, if you simply know how, and have had a bit of practice.

We start with 30' U-turns, circles and figure 8's, and 18' weaves. When finished in a couple of hours 98% of the riders are down to 20' turns and 12' weaves which is the "Police Motor Patrol" standards, which are tighter than any states civilian endorsement test.

I took mine on my Dyna Wide Glide. The road test in Texas was way too easy. It consisted of a 4 or 5 minute ride with 5 turns and slow speeds. I had to provide the motorcycle, a car and a person to drive the car with the test administrator as a passenger.

Back