free website stats program What did you take your test on? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What did you take your test on?

Took the motorcycle safety class. Had the '06 Wide Glide for about two weeks and over 700 miles first (WITH A PERMIT OF COURSE!). Oh, yeah, took the class back in the 80's too, just declined to carry the "M" over when I moved to Virginia. I recommend everyone take the course just to pick up a few pointers and I think they're a little easier on the road test too. When my son turns 16 we're going to take together. I know I won't need it but it can't hurt.

everyone is freaking me out about it. They say it's soooo hard. Where can I get the routine? Any suggestions?
It is not that hard and every state is different. Look in your states motorcycle hand book. The first few pages should show the course layout. It will give the specs and what to expect. You can set up a little course and practice this on your own street. There is room for error, points are deducted for touching the ground with your feet and tipping a cone. NJ's test is very tight. The braking, cones and swerve are very easy, it is the U turn that had me concened, it is the only reason I did not take mine on my bike, I had no experice and two weeks to practice on a Harley, I did not want to risk damage to my bike. It was a piece of cake on a scooter. Yes I am a cheater, but I have my licence and ride my bike just fine, I would take that course anyday of the week now, you learn as you go IMO..

Took my test on the '77 FXE listed in my signature. I had been racing for many years, but did not start riding on the street until I purchased "Shaker".

I nailed the test...

I learned to ride in the 80's... in Calif. I took the test on my little kawasaki (fresh bought, and I NEVER rode a bike before), and passed (after teaching myself to ride in a parking lot for 3 or 4 days).

I moved back to the east coast, and dropped my "M" off my license.

15 years later, I buy my Road King... and got a learner's permit. I rode with my Brother in law for a bit, then he ran outta time and I rode illegal. I was signed up for the STATE moto safety course, but wanted to get legal.

I took the test on my RK, and failed about halfway through. They made me push the bike off the course, and then made sure someone was with me to take the RK home (I parked it, then waited a while and STOLE it from the lot...lol).

I started to practice the test..... and went back 3 weeks later and passed it on my RK... 3 days before the STATE cousre started. I almost cancelled the course.

Glad I didn't because I was one of the few in my class that could ride... and the instructor used ME to show people how to do things. He even let me bring MY RK on the course to show people how easy it was to do a figure 8 in the box, on a BIG bike. He also pointed out the date I got my endorsement. It really helped some people get over their nerves, and LEARN how to ride.

The biggest bonus from the course was all the refresher info I needed.... a month or so after the end of class, I was put into a very bad situation..... and everything I learned in class came back and PROBABLY saved both my life and my wife's... I still spent 5 days in a hospital, with 11 or so broken bones, and a collapsed lung! The wife was scraped up, broke a thumb, but otherwise was in pretty good shape. Had I NOT taken the course (MSF), I probably would have either been hit HARD by the car, or been run over by the cars following us. If lucky, the hospital stay would have been weeks... or unlucky, I would have been planted in 3 or 4 days!

I plan on taking the advances MSF, or Harley advanced course... again for refresher. and I know I can STILL pass ANY state's license exam on MY bike... the one I ride everyday I can.

First CA driver's license test on a 1986 Yamaha XT600

Traded up for 1989 Kawasaki ZX10, upon which I passed both the Basic and Advanced MSF Rider's Courses over two years.

Latest adventure was the Advanced Rider's Course on 2008 Harley Davidson Nightster.

State course, now required in Florida had 250cc bikes. I used a 250 Honda. Also had to take the course twice in the military years before at 2 different bases, Used a Honda CB360T for those tests. Nice bike.

Back