free website stats program Voided Warranty ??? Where do I turn? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Voided Warranty ??? Where do I turn?

When it comes to "race parts " it is made clear what warranty is.
NO auto maker or other bike company would do it any different.
I would have bet things would have been much different if it had been taken back to the dealer that did the work first. Now there is a paper trail on it from an outside dealer that makes it a bit harder to deal with.
In all my years of riding I have never known anyone with a legit warranty issue denied.
If you have a indy do engine mods and it fails would the other Indy down the road warranty it?.

You would have to agree. At the very least the dealer he bought the bike from mislead him, if we have the facts. They were banking on it not having any major problem.

If I spent 15K plus on a bike(less then 100 miles) was promised a warranty at time of purchase. The engine blows 10K later. The police would be taking me from the dealer. They robbed this guy.

The disclaimer in the SE catalog, first page:

The catalog you are about to view contains parts for race use only. Harley-Davidson® motorcycles modified with Screamin’ Eagle® Pro performance parts must not be used on public roads and in some cases may be restricted to closed-course competition. All performance parts identified with the crossed flags symbol are intended for racing applications only and are not legal for sale or use in California on pollution-controlled vehicles. Alterations of emission related components constitute tampering under the US EPA guidelines and can lead to substantial fines and penalties.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be curious to know why the original buyer had those parts installed and was he aware of the lack of a warranty? I'd bet there's a lot the current owner doesn't know about the history of this bike.

Plus, anything in writing documenting the fact it's an actual Stage 4 and not a Stage 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
American companies just cannot match the foreign labor.

In foreign markets the labor is cheaper, but that is not the biggest factor. All the extras like paid time off, unemployment payments, healthcare, etc. cost a decent company a large amount over what shows as your hourly wage or salary. Then add in costs to meet OSHA regs, inspection fees and fines, EPA regs, land costs, property taxes, and lots that I am leaving out.

I can only give good numbers for software developers, so here they are.

American Developer - total cost for a year runs in the 120k range for everything all totaled.

Indian Developer - total cost for a year runs about 50k.

I imagine it is worse with labor intensive jobs in dangerous job with environmentally unfriendly work, say experienced machinist for tight tolerance sports car engines. With all the costs associated with chemical hazards, physical hazards, injuries (back pain that goes on for years, crushed limbs, or just metal filings), Union headaches, and pension plans I am betting they end up with a total cost per overseas worker at less than 30% what they end up paying here. Along with being able to build anything and anywhere they want, work people hours slaves would balk at, and ignore the environment and citizen environmental protectors (Greenies) there is no incentive at all to bring work back.

So instead of driving a Ferrari maybe they sart with a Mercedes and work their way up, the problem today is most want to get rich overnight instead of working for it!!

First, the AG is correct, get a lawyer. I think though this boils down to a contractual issue and misrepresentation of sold goods. A lawyer should be able to beat the dealer to death with the facts in this case. Selling a non-street legal bike for street use, mis-representing the warrenty etc. The dealer will no doubt state they were unaware of the mod, so unless you get a lawyer that knows bikes, you need to do the research to see what the tells are on that mod and why any dealer doing due diligence would have known.

Call your State ABATE for a lawyer referal or do a Google search.You need someone who understands bikes.

I just read some of your replies and I'll try to answer some of the questions. The bike went to another dealer because the bike broke down on the side of the road on a Sunday evening. Towed it to a dealer 10 miles away rather than 60 miles back to the original dealer "thinking" it was covered under warranty.

The bike is at the original dealer now. The original dealer did the install of the stage 4 racing kit when it was brand new so yes, they knew it voided the warranty and NEVER disclosed that to me. How am I supposed to know if not told? So much for expecting people to be up front and honest making a deal.

I told the dealer I'm willing to work with him to get this fixed, but the cost of the bike when I bought it $29,150.00 including all the extras. I should not have to pay anything out of my pocket because the dealership decided to take a gamble that nothing would happen during the balance of the warranty. I was told the warranty was good for two years.

I sent the dealer some options to consider yesterday. We have a meeting this afternoon.

Thanks for the update Rudy. I hope the dealer treats you fairly. :s Let us know how it works out, best of luck.

Dialogue is all important. Seems like you,re doing all the right things. Good luck to you, and please let us know what happens, a lot of us good be be in the same boat.:bigsmiley29::bigsmiley29:

RudyTwo2,

I hope you noticed there were 2,565 members VIEWS on this thread.... I'm sure most of them AGREED and wanted to Help You!!

What a forum!!

Like mentioned; Please keep us up to date.. Thanks
signed....BUBBIE

RudyTwo2,

I hope you noticed there were 2,565 members VIEWS on this thread.... I'm sure most of them AGREED and wanted to Help You!!

What a forum!!

Like mentioned; Please keep us up to date.. Thanks
signed....BUBBIE

Maybe you should mention that to the dealer tomorrow at the meeting.

Back