free website stats program Vegetarians / No Meat | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Vegetarians / No Meat

I have to agree with you on this. I hate it when the host of a ride does not consider everyones needs and just caters to one group of people. I also find it in very bad taste when the host of a ride plans every stop around a bar and drinking. What is the portraying to the community when a bunch of bikers stops ONLY at BARS and then proceed to drink and ride. I know what your going to say, We only have a beer then go to the next stop. Well you are in the minority if you only have " ONE " beer at each stop. Enough said, I just chose to ride on more professionally sponsored rides and those that consider ALL peoples needs. Thanks for reading my views.
P.S. I love pig roasts but to have a choice is very important too..

Chester
Founder
SlowRiders R/C
Minnesota Chapter
Black and Blue with Red all over..

Welcome to The Forum, Hey I think I know you:s

I have to agree with you on this ChunkBoyLo. I hate it when the host of a ride does not consider everyones needs and just caters to one group of people. I also find it in very bad taste when the host of a ride plans every stop around a bar and drinking. What is the portraying to the community when a bunch of bikers stops ONLY at BARS and then proceed to drink and ride. I know what your going to say, We only have a beer then go to the next stop. Well you are in the minority if you only have " ONE " beer at each stop. Enough said, I just chose to ride on more professionally sponsored rides and those that consider ALL peoples needs. Thanks for reading my views.
P.S. I love pig roasts but to have a choice is very important too..

Chester
Founder
SlowRiders R/C
Minnesota Chapter
Black and Blue with Red all over..

Chester I agree that it would be nice if every ride we go on to support a good cause would offer a choice of food. Most of the rides I go on the food is donated and the ride sponsers are trying to make sure that all the $$ goes to the cause we are riding for. While most runs do go to bars as stops it doesn't mean that you have to drink. I always drink diet soda or water, and yes I'm in the minority. Go on the rides support a good cause and if at the end they have something you like to eat it's icing on the cake.

If you are a vegetarian and it bothers you so much stay at home or you could bring your own lunch and supplement it with the bean and corn that are usually served at a pig roast or other meals. I have to carry water, crackers and all of my medical equipment to stay alive so you can carry some thing for yourself.

Being a Chef, I would ask ahead of time (when you sign up). Catered many events and if I can plan before the event, I'm more than accommodating for my guests. Did a wedding tonight for 200. 3 gluten-free and 4 vegetarian dishes. What makes me upset is when a guest comes to dinner and then lets me know "I'm a vegetarian". Help me help you. Lack of planning on your end doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.
Ask and you shall receive. Especially if the event is catered by a professional. I think many BBQ's I've been too have been done by "Joe Bob" (Health inspector would shut down in a second) but the vast majority have been done by professional catering companys. Just ask is bottom line.

No vegetarian here...bring on the BBQ! I do however respect your views to eat what you want.
I had to pass on the 3rd helping of crawfish yesterday..lol

HD DON,,,,,You are so right.:)

Read your earlier post Mat, kinda rough in the heat with only beer. Down in the Cancun area they tell you to drink only beer since the water if foul. Course I think the beer down there has a higher water content.

Being a Chef, I would ask ahead of time (when you sign up). Catered many events and if I can plan before the event, I'm more than accommodating for my guests. ... .... ... .... ....
Ask and you shall receive. Especially if the event is catered by a professional. I think many BBQ's I've been too have been done by "Joe Bob" (Health inspector would shut down in a second) but the vast majority have been done by professional catering companys. Just ask is bottom line.

There you go ChunkBoyLo, try contacting some of the event organizers with a signed petition of all your vege friends (or even if it's just you) . If they know what you want there is a real possibility they could offer it for little effort and cost.

I eat meats, alot of it. But I had a freind some time ago that didnt eat meat and his big problem wasnt a health issue but a cruellty issue on how some slaughter houses are run, and even some farms.

He told me to look up a video, "what the meat industry doesnt want you to know" and i gotta say I couldnt watch the whole thing. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

From then on I never questioned anyone for being a veg again.

Just another point of view I thought worth mentioing..and yes, I still eat meats.

On the lines of what Fossil suggested, I would recommend asking in advance if there could be an option for veggie burgers, and if that is not confirmed, maybe pack on or two frozen patties in a small cooler or bag, that you could carry to the event and the vendor would probably grill it for you.

I would guess that the lack of veggie options my be due to the lack of 'demand', in the sense that maybe not a lot of people at the event ask for veggie options.

I was in a similar situation once while working as a mountain bike guide at a festival. The organizers were basically providing a vegetarian menu. I arrived on Friday night and did okay with the menu until Wednesday. Knowing I had a huge ride the next day, (40-50 miles), so I went to the owners and told them that I had to have some real protein or there was no way I could ride the next day.....if I had to go to the top of the mountain at Snowshoe for dinner I would, but I was having red meat that night. :) Mary, bless her heart, laid me out a New York strip & I had my read meat that night. :s Everyone looked at me and asked me how I got the steak, my response was 'I asked for it in advance'. :)

Has anyone attended a group ride or charity that was not followed by a pig roast / BBQ?

Just because I ride a HOG does not mean I want to eat one.
Most times I join one of these events I go hungry.

Why do most organizers assume we all fall into the stereotype requiring burgers and dogs by the truck load and a bowl of potato salad or coleslaw?

I am not expecting a healthy meal but some food for those who do not eat meat would be helpful.

WHY??? It is what it is. And if uninviting for a certain few, then just do not go. I do not understand the definition of stereo typing. I would think the most important aspect of a group ride or charity event would be why the event is occurring, hanging with fellow riders and supporting the cause. If the liking of special requested food then the requester should bring his own.

Back