free website stats program Valve stem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Valve stem

Just keep in mind what doesn't hit while your spinning your wheel on the stand, may certainly hit when centrifugal force comes into play at speed...

One thing about "Bent metal stems"...some are NOT all metal but are sleeved conventional stems. These usually break at an "inopportune" time (as if there was such a thing as if any convenient breakdown). Some tire places use those "cosmetic" ones, so make sure they are like the pictures by the OP. Don't ask me how I know...! :11:

Just a thought with the angled stems could you point them towards the centre of the wheel and give a better angle for getting at them from the other side

Brian

I'm sure glad you brought this up. I thought I was the only guy who was having a difficult time adding air to his tires.
I never even considered that they could interact with the brake calipers. I would at some point like to give the 45 degree angled ones a try and simplify things.
I can bend the rubber stems out a bit to put air in the tire but rubber will crack and tear over time with age and it will always happen when you least expect it:newsmile030:. I'd rather have a metal angle stem like I installed in the wheels of my Goldwing. The angle stems will help checking pressure and adding air a little easier.

"I have turned the stem to the rear of the wheel. This is no problem though."

Hmm. what about the front wheel. Does the 90 work well there too?

Just a thought with the angled stems could you point them towards the centre of the wheel and give a better angle for getting at them from the other side

Brian
I was thinking the same thing. The rear port hole for the stem is on the right side of the wheel (on my bike) so the 90 deg could very well work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, Jake wilson has the best prices for tires that I have found so far. That's where I got my rear tire and the valve stems

Last edited:
The trouble with turning the 90 valve stem to the other side of the bike is that the bike leans that why making it difficult to check and add air
Ken

My solution was to buy this new HD valve stem extension. Its about 8 inches long and makes it easy to add air. Goes in the saddlebag with my tire pressure / tread depth gauge.

My solution was to buy this new HD valve stem extension. Its about 8 inches long and makes it easy to add air. Goes in the saddlebag with my tire pressure / tread depth gauge.
Wow! what a great idea. I just looked it up. Thanks.

Wow! what a great idea. I just looked it up. Thanks.

This extension also is included with a new portable air compressor that HD sells for those of us with tubeless tires that can use a plug type repair on the side of the road. The compressor plugs right into the battery tender pigtail so it's truly a stand alone repair system!

Compact Air Compressor with Light | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

Back