free website stats program Ultra Cool oil cooler failure | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Cool oil cooler failure

I have post in the softail section discussing the damage to my engine. Damage showed up at the end of december. I filed a cliam with UltraCool's insurance carrier and settled with them.

I am keeping the cooler however as i believe it to be a good product other than the hoses. I will however look into better installation system for the hoses. I also plan to change the hoses once a year just to be safe though i am convinced at this point the Gates hoses will be superior and problem free.

Wish i could have an oil pressure gauge that i can see while riding, need to look into that.

Wish i could have an oil pressure gauge that i can see while riding, need to look into that.

Actually, you don't need to see it when riding. If you lose oil pressure or it gets dangerously low, the light will come on which will get your attention. If you don't happen to be looking at the gauge at the time of the pressure loss; you will see the light before the gauge anyway. An oil temp gauge would be more worthwhile IMHO.

Chrome Digital Oil Pressure Gauge-75138-09 | Oil Transmission | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

tiny light on the gas tank does not catch your eye very well. Running in traffic your eye doesnt typically look down at the tank.

tiny light on the gas tank does not catch your eye very well. Running in traffic your eye doesnt typically look down at the tank.

I don't know about you but I'm constantly looking at my gauges, guess it's due to my racing days. :D

I am keeping the cooler however as i believe it to be a good product other than the hoses. I will however look into better installation system for the hoses. I also plan to change the hoses once a year just to be safe though i am convinced at this point the Gates hoses will be superior and problem free.

I am hearing some indecisiveness with cooler which is what caused you to be in this situation. Leaving it off may in fact keep the ghosts away and you can ride bike free of worrying about oil pressure.

OK, so I guess you don't see how fast you are going or how much fuel you have or the low fuel light either.:s

It really doesn't matter whether you have a gauge or not. If you lose oil pressure, you will know it and can only hope you get the clutch pulled in and off the road before you lose more than the oil pump; the damage will have been done and damage control is the best you can hope for.:coffee

OK, so I guess you don't see how fast you are going or how much fuel you have or the low fuel light either.:s

It really doesn't matter whether you have a gauge or not. If you lose oil pressure, you will know it and can only hope you get the clutch pulled in and off the road before you lose more than the oil pump; the damage will have been done and damage control is the best you can hope for.:coffee

You make a good point. I was looking into an oil gauge for my remote oil filter, but as you put it, you basically already have one in the form of the oil warning light. That's why I love the forum. Keeps me from doing (too many) stupid things...

I was in rush hour traffic, no need to look at the speedo. never look at gas gauge as i cant see it since it is on the front of the cap. I only look at the trip meter and thats when I suspect it is getting close.

Back