free website stats program Ultra Cool oil cooler failure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Cool oil cooler failure

I have 04 ultra with H.D. oil cooler installed & 13 limited with H.D. oil cooler & like the coolers & the design , but will periodically check the hoses - thanks .

This is why I always question adding on oil coolers and relocating oil filters to help in cooling oil. It is fortunate that you did not have a catastrophic failure.

There wouldn't be a need for such things if (a) the bike was cooled sufficiently to begin with and (b) the filter wasn't sitting in the worst place possible. Agreed, add-ons can cause more issues than good, but are sometimes just plain necessary. Working on relocating my filter as we speak...

Pre ride inspection of the hose would not have shown the bad hose. it looked good in place. You had to take it off and squeeze it to see the dry rot. Also I look at that area every time i ride it. I always am concerned with oil leakes in that area and it never showed any signs of failure. It was a sudden and catastrophic failure of the hose.

However now that i have the right hose and dont need any special 90 degree bends in it I will replace them every year when i do the oil

I did not ride it over the weekend, instead i finished my goldwing project, thing is running perfect and looks awesome

Thanks for the heads up. I installed one of them on my sisters trike in 2013. I will need to have her come by so I can check it.

There wouldn't be a need for such things if (a) the bike was cooled sufficiently to begin with and (b) the filter wasn't sitting in the worst place possible. Agreed, add-ons can cause more issues than good, but are sometimes just plain necessary. Working on relocating my filter as we speak...

My reply to this atm33 is that Harley is one of the largest police bike manufacture in America. And from the 28 bikes we sold, not one that I have dealt with working at the local dealer in 2008 we never saw anything unusual engine or oil filter problems or drive train related. So with what Harley has installed at the factory for the police bike to be protected for serious duty, I would disagree with your statement about insufficient cooling. Though as Jack always has said, "its your ride you decide." I am not denouncing adding additional items to bike for better cooling. For peace of mind is priceless. I am just saying that when at Harley dealer 80% of the problems we did have to correct were self induced because owner or another shop thought they knew what they were doing when in reality they did not. This theory of course does not apply to the older Harleys for we all know that most of those were a bit of a head ache from the factory. So best to you in relocating filter.....:s

I would disagree with your statement about insufficient cooling...... I am not denouncing adding additional items to bike for better cooling.

Agreed. "insufficient" cooling was an overstatement and the wrong term to use. But, add-on coolers (especially for air cooled engines) or relocating filters do make an improvement, whether in simple convenience or in performance or both. The risk (as is the point of this thread) is the possibility of catastrophic failure from a broken hose, loose clamp, etc in your add-on. At the end of the day, I don't think you and I really disagree at all. We just differ in whether we think these add-ons are worth the risk. I totally respect your view and opinion not to install them.

I added it because I saw 240+ heat on the oil dip stick and that was on the highway. The cooler did drop it 20 degrees or more on the highway and in traffice it does move some heat. I believe it to be a good add. Just the hoses were junk. I did consult with Doc Weaver before i added it and he said adding a cooler is always a good idea.

Those who have any cooler need to pull the hoses and check and or replace. There are many good grades of hose on the market. Silicone being the highest temp hose. I think what I found is very good. Also if there is no need for factory bent hoses then dont use them. always a smooth sweep is better than a 90.

I am customizing and restoring an 82 Goldwing. It is liquid cooled. Radiator in front. It runs nice and cool, fan motor only comes on in traffic. over weekend I finished engine paint and carburator rebuild and was running the bike with lower fairing off, no false tank, and no seat. Engine was running significantly hotter than normal, fact fan was coming on even at normal road speeds but never got hotter than the fan on temp. I re assembled the bike after being satisfied with my work and found the engine temp back down to normal. Guess the lower fairing did have function, it does chanel some more air through the radiator and or cause vacuum to pull air through, im guessing both based on shape.

#1 on silicone hoses, there is a good example of why turbos use silicone hoses, the high heat and pressure holds up much longer than regular rubber hose, they are more pliable and user friendly. Case in point if any one has ever had to replace a by pass hose on a V8 gas engine with out a fuss you know silicone is the only way to go. IMO they are worth the extra you will pay up front:s

i use NAPA hi-pressure hose on my '09 t/g. my Jagg universal oil cooler is mounted in the lt. crash bar area. i also put a dab of napa's hi-tack sealant on the fittings. & used Pex PERFECT CIRCLE CLAMPS. & used fuel injector hose clamps (which are a crcle clamp with a screw & nut. almost 5 years with no problems.

Back