free website stats program Ultra Cool oil cooler failure | Harley Davidson Forums

Ultra Cool oil cooler failure

67hat34c

I have an 08 Heritage softail that i purchase used about a year and a half ago. Bike had 8300 miles on it and has been great since.

I added an oil cooler from Ultra cool in May 2013. It worked awesome until last week.
I was riding to work Wednesday morning last week and was about 9 miles from home when I herd lifters ticking while stopped in traffic. Thought it was very odd. It came and went. I put my foot down and left foot slid on pavement. Boots and bike were covered with oil , shut down immediately and pushed off the road. Tow home. verified oil tank was dry. took off filter and very little oil came out. found one of the 2 rubber oil lines that came with ultra cool had ruptured. Removed both and found the were hard and completely dried out. Rupture occurred at the 90 degree bend. Called Ultracool and they claim never been an issue before. I called Doc Weaver, who many of you know, and discussed with him. He is local to me and is pretty much the man on HD engines. He said it is possible for no damage, depends on how long it ran dry. We agreed oil analysis is the way to go. I talked to a guy in Texas, who said that since i had a very high quality oil and it soulded like i likely ran for 5minutes or so dry and didnt run it hard then I may be ok. He said put on fresh filter and oil and run 500 miles and send him a sample. Dyson lab guy said he knows Amsoil and its very good, however he also said that there is something called Bio-synthetic that he believes to be superior to all other oils.

Anyhow bottom line is I am very concerned, my bikes are all in superior condition, mechanically and cosmetically and now i may be looking at a major failure, hope not. I am a commercial liability adjuster and handle product liability claims so I know what to do if there is damage.

I did however do some research on oil hoses and found that a synthetic rubber or silicone type hose are the only ones for oil and high heat. I believe the hose that was on the bike was likely neoprene. I found Gates has Oil Cooler hose rated at 400 psi and 300+ degrees constant temp with engine oil. I bought some and found there was no need for the 90 degree bend in the hose, i made it a smooth curv from filter adaptor to the cooler. I now have about 50 miles on the bike since the failure, so far so good. Oil analysis will be the true test.

If anyone has oil coolers on their bike I recommend pulling off the hoses once a year and check them Mine was not visible while in place, you had to squeeze the hose to tell it was hard and also see the dry rot cracks.

I believe the Ultracool cooler is still a good one just bad hose. I did note they are using different hoses on their web site so likely this may have been an issue. I will have no complaints as long as they stand behind their product and do whats right if there is damage. If no damage then pay for oil, tow, and analysis, all will be about 300.00

This is why I always question adding on oil coolers and relocating oil filters to help in cooling oil. It is fortunate that you did not have a catastrophic failure.

Called Ultracool and they claim never been an issue before.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I did note they are using different hoses on their web site so likely this may have been an issue.

Each of these quotes from the above post totally contradicts the other. Sounds like they're trying to get out of reimbursing you anything since it's "never been an issue."

How do the oil cooler hook up to the new baggers? I know they use some type of rubber hoses but didnt pay attention where they hook to engine.

Hopefully you dodged a bullet, time will tell. Sometimes these fancy add ons end up costing you much more in the long run. Good luck.

Jeff do I hear another snake oil thread a startin??????:small3d006:

Could be Bernie, lots of good aftermarket things out there but also lots of junk. Before I add something that could potentially cause catastrophic damage to my significant investment I what it tested and all the bugs worked out. JMHO.:s

How do the oil cooler hook up to the new baggers? I know they use some type of rubber hoses but didnt pay attention where they hook to engine.

HD14FLHP005.gif

This visual may help:s

67hat34c, I will tell you this, in my experiences the older engines were alot more forgiving when it came to running low or out of oil. The tolerances have been tightened up quite a bit since the Evo days, the lifter blocks on the TC engines are cat into the rs crank case, when they go bad bad ju ju unlike Evo, shovels and panheds just a bit to think on Hope you have good luck with your engine

Rode to work yesterday and today , now have 85 miles since last wednesday's failure. Been looking at oil spots in the road to see where it let loose, found a few likely places. I believe is caught it just as the last drop was passing through, lifters were ticking on and off. However being that the hose was blowing oil it would stand to reason that the rest of the engine was a little starved. I am guessing that at idle in stop and go traffic it was ok, likely blew out from acceleration which is were I am seeing stains in the road.

Well I hope its ok. will know in another 400 miles. Sending oil sample to lab. I am keeping ultra cool updated as well. If the engine is damaged then im looking to them for the rebuild and using Doc Weaver for the job. Many of you know of him on this site. Im lucky to be local to him.

Back