free website stats program Turn signal troubleshoot | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Turn signal troubleshoot

The bolt attached to the fork legs where the kit attaches to. That is what I tried and that is what snapped inside the bolt.

I surmise it's one of those kits that attaches with the tree pinch bolt ?

ummm... you're gonna have to get that fixed somehow. Maybe Hoople or Captain Jack will see this.

Those connectors can be buggers to work with. Got pretty proficient yesterday installing my Driving Light kit. I found a small nail in my stash that fit & worked on the primary catch b/c paper clips just bend. Worked just like the $15 tool & was free (yeah). Glad you solved the signal wiring issue.

I used the small end of a hex wrench (you know one of those L style ones, just used the smaller side). Once I figured that out it worked great.

So you got it fixed?:s

Well...Turn signals are installed, mostly. Just picked up my replacement fuel line, but the stripped Torx Screw is still stuck in there. No time to try to fix it tonight, but this week planning on cutting a line to try using a flat head to remove it. If that doesn't work...not sure what I am going to do so if you have any other suggestions please send my way.

Well...Turn signals are installed, mostly. Just picked up my replacement fuel line, but the stripped Torx Screw is still stuck in there. No time to try to fix it tonight, but this week planning on cutting a line to try using a flat head to remove it. If that doesn't work...not sure what I am going to do so if you have any other suggestions please send my way.

Automatic center punch, and left hand drill bits, should do the trick:s

If you can't get the broken easy out and can get a slot in it, you might have some luck with a large slotted adapter on an impact driver. Have someone hold the front end so it won't bounce away from the impact driver, make sure you grind a wide deep slot and use the largest slotted adaptor that will fit the impact. Good luck

Thanks guys, will give it a shot this weekend, need to pick up a Dremel too. I do not own an impact driver...one of those things on my list of wants. Left hand drill bits did not work, that is what broke in it and the other one would not grab. Need to get a better metal drill bit to drill the hole out again...Will keep you posted. If I had a welder, I read a great article about welding a bolt to the tip then using that to get it out.

Thanks guys, will give it a shot this weekend, need to pick up a Dremel too. I do not own an impact driver...one of those things on my list of wants. Left hand drill bits did not work, that is what broke in it and the other one would not grab. Need to get a better metal drill bit to drill the hole out again...Will keep you posted. If I had a welder, I read a great article about welding a bolt to the tip then using that to get it out.

Easy outs and broken drill bits are real trouble some times, may try cobalt drill bits go slow and use lots of lube, I have also used punches to chip out the broken bits Good Luck

Well I wanted to give everyone an update. Picked up a dremel on the way home Friday (finally had a good excuse to buy one :D), used the metal blade to cut a slit in in it for a flat head screwdriver, which was a breeze, the dremel was fantastic. No way I could get teh flat bolt to turn, tried it for a good 15 min all different ways and gave up.

Saturday I went out there and in frustration, put the screwdriver on the edge, grabbed my hand sledge and just beat on it...after many hits it finally moved and I was able to get it out :D :D In the process my screwdriver busted on the top, if that gives you an idea for how solid that was in. Once that was out, the rest was a breeze! Oh, and thankfully the screwdriver was a Craftsman and Sears is sending me a replacement. Gotta love Craftsman tools!!

Thanks for all the guidance, now the bike is all hooked up and back in ready to ride condition. Now just hoping for some good weather so I can get it down off the lift.

All the information here, definitely made this job a lot easier as always. At the end of the day this forum is the best tool I have.

Well I wanted to give everyone an update. .... .... ..... .....
Saturday I went out there and in frustration, put the screwdriver on the edge, grabbed my hand sledge and just beat on it...after many hits it finally moved and I was able to get it out :D :D In the process my screwdriver busted on the top, if that gives you an idea for how solid that was in. ... .... .... ....
Thanks for all the guidance, now the bike is all hooked up and back in ready to ride condition. ... .... .... ....
All the information here, definitely made this job a lot easier as always. At the end of the day this forum is the best tool I have.

Glad you got it out man. Sometimes frustration can build into creative determination. I have used you method of pounding several times (when I can get at it that way) . I totally forgot to give that as an option though, HD Don covered it with the impact driver. Can't even remember if we covered spraying some bust loose in and letting it sit either. But you got the picture going. Ride safe.

Back