free website stats program Transmission Plug Leaking | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Transmission Plug Leaking

Billbo on 2003 and earlier models I alway use a new 739A plug when servicing, it helps save the threads in the primary cover and also is cheap. Be careful not to install it too deep, just flush with cover, and the new 739a plugs come with a sealer on them from the factory, you can not update the plug style without updating cover.$$$$$$

It's hard for me see anybody's drain plug leaking, I have never had one that would not seal just using a new 11105 o-ring and a little teflon paste on the threads, with a torque wrench set at 18 ft lbs, the torque wrench is an important factor in tightening a drain plug correctly.

It can't hurt, my hands are usually oily enough it gets lube whether I want it to or not, it will help it torque down without tearing.

Billbo on 2003 and earlier models I alway use a new 739A plug when servicing, it helps save the threads in the primary cover and also is cheap. Be careful not to install it too deep, just flush with cover, and the new 739a plugs come with a sealer on them from the factory, you can not update the plug style without updating cover.$$$$$$

It's hard for me see anybody's drain plug leaking, I have never had one that would not seal just using a new 11105 o-ring and a little teflon paste on the threads, with a torque wrench set at 18 ft lbs, the torque wrench is an important factor in tightening a drain plug correctly.
thanks Chopper. I am the one who wrote in a while back about my trans plug being so hard to get started -- and then so hard to screw in. hard all the way. I really do not like the trans drain on softtails up out of site between the shocks. even using a mirror, the socket gets in the way of seeing the opening - can not use fingers only. for me, it is all by feel. I was so careful to put that tran plug in right - I tried over and over for about 45 minutes just to get the plug started. when I did - I had to use the ratchet on the socket to turn it and it was difficult alllll the way in. Maybe, I could just turn it some more and stop the leak, not sure -- but I know I did not want to 'crack' any case. a friend of mine told me next time when I drain tranny, go back in using a 'thread chaser" or even a tap the same size and try a new drain plug. IF all that does not seem to work - I guess I am into drilling and tapping for new plug. Am I correct, if you use a helicoil - dont you still have to drill out and tap it for the helicoil? If you do that, why not just install a larger drain plug?

Thanks for listening again,
Bill

the fact that the plug was hard to screw allll the way is a sign the damage has been done, never use a ratchet to put a drain pug in, especially one as hard to get to as the hated softail trans drain plug, if the plug dosen't go in by finger a third of the way, stop and go have a smoke or pet the dog for 5 mins or something. a helicoil is a answer, that way if there's a problem in the future you can install a new helicoil. it can be done without removing the shocks but I recommend removing the shocks and taking you're time, make it a enjoyable job and it will be a good job when you're done. a steel insert would be best, but when I had to have our shop do the repair all I could find was a helicoil drain plug repair kit that cost about $140.00 bucks, but it worked, good luck.

the reason for the o ring is to keep from puttin to much stress on alumn. threads. (believe it or not )................bw

Chop has you covered regarding the tapered drain plug in that if you tighten it too much it goes into the hole too far and may not seal well. Also, consider the teflon coated threads as "wet" when torquing, so keep it to the very low side when doing so.

Went to the parts store got a larger size o-ring torqued down the tranny plug to 18 foot lbs voila no leaks went for a 45 minute ride came home placed my mirror up there dry as can be. Thanks.

o-ring was $0.12 at O'Reilly, the ones at the stealer are $1.06.

Ok,guys I serviced my 98 Heretige Sat. & the primary case plug never felt like it would tighten to the 18 lbs. I pulled it back out & wrapped it in teflon tape. The threads were pretty sharp. No leaks yet but I havent put any miles yet. I hope to this evening. I think this is an 1/8" pipe plug with a chip collector?

Back