free website stats program Trans & Primary Oil... I did it !!! Just sharing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans & Primary Oil... I did it !!! Just sharing

Here is a good product.Manufactured right here in Bellville Ontario:D
I must confess I am a dealer for them so I am a little biased.

Information | Bike Pro

Hi Steve,
Can u pm me as to what the cost is and where I may order from?.
Tks
WAP.gif

Hi JBC2565

I did it all on the kickstand. I now know why the manual said bike should be upright when changing the transmission oil lol. There is some sort of "plate/bracket" right below transmission oil drain plug on my model.. and because bike was at an angle, oil leaked on it to other side. Nothing major... it was just a bit of oil. But its cleaned up now.

I am now shopping around for a nice motorcycle chock that i dont need to bolt into my garage floor. Ive seen quite a few nice/sturdy ones, all made in USA for around $200 a piece. I guess another drive to the border lol. In Canada all I can find are the chinese made ones and they do nothing for me. It will be helpful for future oil changes and storage in winter.

If anyone has any suggestions... i'd love to know about them.

Thanks again.

I do my oil changes on the kick stand all the time. Once the oil is drained out, I simply get on the bike, stand her up and allow the balance of the oil to drain into the pan. It only takes a couple of extra minutes this way and you don't have to deal with a stand. Changing oil is really easy and a money saver as well. Congrat's on the first step.

Congrats 2u...self-service of the scoot's definitely self-satisfying. Here's to many more future service/savings for you. For the primary - did the clutch have any play/slipping? Seems like there could be an adjustment needed if you're burning the oil...how many miles???

Check out the Wheel Dock for upright parking and bike support. Nothing better made or more secure. An online search will bring you right to them. I use mine for maintenance but also to park the bike upright. It takes up a lot less space that way.

Hi Iceman24,
Clutch frankly operates/feels perfectly. No slipping or anything of that nature. Oil was very dark and I did have metal shavings on the magnetic bolt. Some told me it's normal and that I should chill. I also should mention that bike has 5500kms on it. I feel that is a bit long before changing the trans/primary oil for the first time. The only thing which bothers me is the "clunk" when starting bilke and putting in 1st gear. I know Harleys "clunk".. I just find it a bit too loud of a clunk. There was an excellent transmission oil recommended here made by a US company which according to their website was designed specifically for loud HD 6 speed transmissions. I made numerous calls and e mails but just can't get it in Montreal. I may have to order and have shipped and I'll pick up from the border myself. So, for this time only I'm using HD 20w50 synthetic.

Rgds
WAP.gif

Good deal - sounds like everything's fine - especialy @ 5500kms (~3400 miles) on new bike. I find it best to "pause" for a few seconds before shifting (after pulling clutch) helps w/the clunk. Takes a few secs to slow things down - enjoy!

Great job. Keep it up and you'll be surprised at what you will try and do yourself and do it right.

Bodeen

The only thing which bothers me is the "clunk" when starting bilke and putting in 1st gear. I know Harleys "clunk".. I just find it a bit too loud of a clunk.

I found the oil level of the primary is very critical. Just a couple of extra oz's and the problems start.
Glider turned me onto Spectrol Plat 6 Speed for the gear box. I never thought I would pay $22 a quart for anything but I have to say the stuff is Magic.

Good gear box oil and a proper oil level in the primary will work wonders for the noise.

Back