free website stats program To tow or not to tow - that is the question? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

To tow or not to tow - that is the question?

Motorcycle Shipping Company: HaulBikes Motorcycle Transportation

Mark:

Here is a link to Haul Bikes,they are just one of many on the net, but come highly recommended. I used them to bring a Dyna Super Glide I got from my brother from Las Vegas to Houston. Cost $500, they will give you a quote over the phone (or by web). They also ship door-to-door and you can track them on your smart phone.

I was extremely happy with their service and got a big thrill when the bike arrived, as did my neighbors. The drivers are all bikers and handle your bike with great care. When the bike arrived me and the driver hit it off, he let me drool at the awesome bikes he was transporting around the country and gave me a little story about each one like they were his kids.

After he unloaded it he helped me make sure it was "set-up" right, checked all the fluids, helped me start it and make sure I rode it up and down the block. Kinda hated to see him drive off.

just send me airfare and keys plus $$ for gas and i will ride it to SA for you :cheers
Yeah . . . .I'm so tempted to do it myself . . .but discretion being the better part of . . .. oh well!

Thanks - Mark

Motorcycle Shipping Company: HaulBikes Motorcycle Transportation

Mark:

Here is a link to Haul Bikes,they are just one of many on the net, but come highly recommended. I used them to bring a Dyna Super Glide I got from my brother from Las Vegas to Houston. Cost $500, they will give you a quote over the phone (or by web). They also ship door-to-door and you can track them on your smart phone.

I was extremely happy with their service and got a big thrill when the bike arrived, as did my neighbors. The drivers are all bikers and handle your bike with great care. When the bike arrived me and the driver hit it off, he let me drool at the awesome bikes he was transporting around the country and gave me a little story about each one like they were his kids.

After he unloaded it he helped me make sure it was "set-up" right, checked all the fluids, helped me start it and make sure I rode it up and down the block. Kinda hated to see him drive off.

I'll give these folks a call tomorrow - thanks! PM me if you want me to put your name as the referer if I go with them . . . good if they offer any future discounts I guess . . .

Thanks - Mark!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd hire a transport company.

Towing that bike isn't easy on the Honda. You're talking about using a 15 year old vehicle. If you have any problems along the road, you're sitting there with a nice new bike that certain elements would love to part out if they got their hands on it.
(I went to a swp meet and the guy I rode with forgot to lock his CVO Ultra and it wasn't there when we wanted to leave. Forgot to arm the security. $36K bike that someone took off with. It was never recovered. Bad thing about it was his insurance had lapsed. It was 33 days. They give you a grace of 30 days but he was 3 days past.)

You'll be traveling through hills somewhere on the trip. Adding a trailer w/bagger bike isn't a light load, especially with a I4 Honda..
I towed my Sportster 2,000 miles to California in an enclosed V-nose aluminum trailer with my '89 Land Cruiser and I noticed it on the hills. You do go slower.
It was a hassle so I had the entire trailer w/Sportster inside the trailer shipped back to Iowa. Had a friend who owned a trucking company. He had room and it rolled right in the trailer. Much more enjoyable trip on the return ride.

You'd need an enclosed trailer. Parking at motels is risky. You might not have all the same parts when you leave the motel. Weather, road grit, things flying up and hitting the new bike isn't a nice thought. That stuff isn't covered by warranty so the repairs would have to covered by insurance or just out of your pocket.

If there is a problem on the bike with your break-in run (if you rode it to Texas), then you'l have to search out a dealer. Some dealers don't do repair on Sundays.

Consider what you'd pay for gas, food, lodging, possible car repair (if needed), etc. to get from NH th TX and the price of a moving company becomes cheap.
Hire a transport company. Then it'll be like Christmas when they get there.

markfsanderson;437325[* said:
Buy a CAT 1 Curtis tow hitch for my 1997 Honda Accord Sedan (new all-weather tires, shocks, well be getting new lower ball joints and a trany fluid change next week). Get a small open trailer and tow my bike with me to San Antonio.
Any other ideas or input? Can my 1997 Honda Accord Sedan tow a brand new 2011 H-D FXDC weighing in at 650 lbs or so?
Thanks!
Mark

I gotta idear'--- as fur as that thar Honder --- Take all them thar seats out , ceptin the drivers and put that hog up inside it an head south !!! GIT-R-DUN !!!!!! AHAHAHAHAA!!!! J/K !!!!!

Mark, I truely hope you get your scoot down to Texas and put a many a miles on her! Good luck with your quest bro!!!
Ride careful & be safe!

After reading all the other good replies on how to get your bike to TX, I like the one about getting your dealer to ship it to a dealer in SAT the best.

A few years ago I towed my Softail from Augusta Maine to Lake George New York using a SAAB 9-5 2.0 four turbo as a tow vehicle. I had no trouble at all even on the route 4 Killington Vermont hill.

A few things I would suggest if you go this route. Get a trailer with the largest diameter wheels you can find it reduces rolling resistance and helps with bearing wear. Use heavy tie downs and check them at every stop. Use a wheel dock front wheel holder (one that will hold the bike upright and stable when not moving). If you use an open trailer do NOT cover the bike, no matter how bad the weather a flapping cover will only make it worse. At night, if you can clean the bike (pledge works great) first, cover it while at a motel. I suggest you get a cover at the local Honda shop LOL, not one with a Harley logo.

If you do take this route just take your time and enjoy the ride.

I would just pay the pro's to transport it. No worries and you can do your break in on your own time in Texas. Peace of mind knowing the new bike is in good hands. JMO

I would go with having a pro company haul the bike to San Antonio. Seems to me it would be a lot less hassle all around- less wear and tear on a 15 year old car, less worries for you, and it would cost about the same as renting a U-Haul trailer. The peace of mind will be worth the cost, IMHO.

In the meantime, congrats on the new job. And welcome back to the Sunny South.

I would go with having a pro company haul the bike to San Antonio. Seems to me it would be a lot less hassle all around- less wear and tear on a 15 year old car, less worries for you, and it would cost about the same as renting a U-Haul trailer. The peace of mind will be worth the cost, IMHO.

Agreed!
Spending the money and time if you do it yourself. Not practical.
You can sleep and relax while the pros bring your bike..... safely.

Back