free website stats program To tow or not to tow - that is the question? | Harley Davidson Forums

To tow or not to tow - that is the question?

markfsanderson

Well, here's the shake . . . I purchased an 2011 FXDC about 2 weeks ago from a dealer in northern New Hampshire, got storage included with the deal. I knew it was a possibility, but wasn't sure it was going to happen - but I was offered a job that I can't refuse (its like playing in the NFL w/a playoff team in my profession - for sure!) in San Antonio Texas. I just moved here to NH from Houston at the beginning of Sept 2011 - so back to Texas for me!. I have a temporary license her in NH, and my last motorcycle riding was quite some time ago when going to college. So here are my choices as I see them:

1. Hire a transport company from $600 to $1000 to move my new bike. The move will be insured, and it will arrive 'brand new' in San Antonio
  2. Wait until April (ouch!) fly up to NH after taking the motor cycle course and getting a license. For some reason, they dropped my 'M' rating off my license about 10 years ago in Texas. I'll get my 'trial by fire' and 2000 miles of experience under my belt pretty quickly
  3. Buy a CAT 1 Curtis tow hitch for my 1997 Honda Accord Sedan (new all-weather tires, shocks, well be getting new lower ball joints and a trany fluid change next week). Get a small open trailer and tow my bike with me to San Antonio.

Any other ideas or input? Can my 1997 Honda Accord Sedan tow a brand new 2011 H-D FXDC weighing in at 650 lbs or so? I've heard that I shouldn't cover it because if the cover works loose, it will flap in the wind and scar the finish. How do I protect it during the move? Should I load it backwards so I can more easily remove it at the other end?

Thanks!
Mark

I would pay or tow myself but in an ENCLOSED trailer so when I got to Texas I could ride immediately. I would be kicking myself for leaving a new bike in NH when I could be riding it.

I would call someone at Honda Service, but from what I've read it is not a good idea to tow with a front wheel drive car. How are you moving your household goods back to Tx.?

Economically speaking, and from ease/safety perspective, might be best to hire transport company to move the bike.

Don't know how much your free time is worth (new job probation or similar life style change). And need matching skill set/experience going 2,000 miles for that long a stretch on a new bike.

Towing a 900 lbs plus bike, with added 300 lbs of new towing equipment would also be rather tough, (again don't know how much experience you have towing THAT big a load on a relatively small Honda Accord (assuming it has a V6 rather an I4. and fairly heavy duty hitch and attachment area).

If your are having a moving company move you household good, why not see if the dealer will but the bike back in one of the MOCO's shipping boxes and ship it with the household goods. This will require that the dealer break the bike down and wherever your moving to having the dealer there uncrate and reassemble. Might be cheaper than having the bike shipped by a bike carrier.

Economically speaking, and from ease/safety perspective, might be best to hire transport company to move the bike.

Don't know how much your free time is worth (new job probation or similar life style change). And need matching skill set/experience going 2,000 miles for that long a stretch on a new bike.

Towing a 900 lbs plus bike, with added 300 lbs of new towing equipment would also be rather tough, (again don't know how much experience you have towing THAT big a load on a relatively small Honda Accord (assuming it has a V6 rather an I4. and fairly heavy duty hitch and attachment area).

This is an I4 Honda Accord, and the bikes stated gross weight is about 660 or so lbs. The trailer weight and small amount of personal possessions I have here in NH will quickly make up the remainder so that it will go easily to 1100 lbs of towed weight. I'm pretty sure I could balance it and keep the tongue weight less than the max 200 lbs. I could (possibly) take about a week to get it there . . .maybe on the second trip after I fly back? I've no desire to purchase a new vehicle to do the towing . . .and a relatively small u haul truck to tow the bike and my car would coast me about 2000.00 from NH to TX - wow!

Sounds like I might be overloading my little Honda or taxing it a bit much . . . .

I would call someone at Honda Service, but from what I've read it is not a good idea to tow with a front wheel drive car. How are you moving your household goods back to Tx.?
Great idea to call Honda service - they'll be doing the lower ball joints next week. I didn't bring much from TX to here . . .wasn't going to until I was sure I was going to stay. My stuff is currently in storage . . . The move from Houston to San Antonio will be a breeze (I hope!)

I've got quotes from 750 to 1400 US. The weighs in at around 650 dry I believe - its a 2011 FXDC Super Glide Custom. Yeah . . . I would have to break it in on the road . . and plan trips to coincide with motorcycle shops so I could change the oil and etc. I would have to allocate at least a weeks time to be safe . . .

Decisions decisions decisions . . . . Its starting to sound like that transport might be the best way. I'll see what the honda service dept. says . . . I've a good idea what it will be . . . but I"ll ask anyway!

Thanks!

Mark:(

I would think by the time the Honda was made do able the money spent would cover shipping. If the Honda was even capable of towing the bike. If you have time to travel from NH to Texas look into a one way rental of truck and haul your self if the money is a advantage. If not plan 1. I agree that waiting till April and flying up then riding to Texas is alot to chew off and again whats the plane fair going to be. Back to plan 1.....:s
Is there corporate expense covering move????

Hi Mark - I have towed my FXDC in a small, one axle, enclosed trailer with my big ole Chevy camper van. I hardly notice the empty trailer, but it is a different story when my Dyna is loaded up. It rides secure in the front wheel chaulk that I installed. It is easy to load and unload and I strap it down (taught not tight) with a tether strap on each side of the front forks, at the triple tree, but I can't stop on a dime, and I take it real slow over bumps.
I would not recomend you tow this bike with a small, front wheel drive car. Your bike deserves to be moved with planning and care. I got 14,000 miles on my bike and I would like you to experience the same great 14,000 miles I did.:D Your gonna love that bike....

I would think by the time the Honda was made do able the money spent would cover shipping. If the Honda was even capable of towing the bike. If you have time to travel from NH to Texas look into a one way rental of truck and haul your self if the money is a advantage. If not plan 1. I agree that waiting till April and flying up then riding to Texas is alot to chew off and again whats the plane fair going to be. Back to plan 1.....:s
Is there corporate expense covering move????

Yup, I get paid a to move to SAT on my second pay period. It certainly more enough to move from Houston to SAT - no problem. I'll have enough left over to move the bike . . . I'd just like it to go with me . . . but in thinking about the limitations of the towing vehicle - it seems it might be better to have it transported. I think the dealer can get me a slightly better deal . . . we discussed just this possibility when I purchased the bike. I've seen some folding single bike trailers . . .these look nice - but I'm assuming that they are really for short trailering distances. Hmm . ..this is the only time I miss that Durango I sold a couple of years back . . .certainly not at the fuel pump or mechanic for sure!

Thanks - Mark!

OK one more idea for you to check the pricing on. Rent a small U-Haul truck one way. Put the bike in the back of the truck and tow the Honda behind it.

Back