free website stats program To tow or not to tow - that is the question? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

To tow or not to tow - that is the question?

Have it shipped, The dealer where you bought it from might be able to help make the arrangements. Also if as you say you haven't ridden in years i think caution is the better part of valor ,Have it shipped.

I would think by the time the Honda was made do able the money spent would cover shipping. If the Honda was even capable of towing the bike. If you have time to travel from NH to Texas look into a one way rental of truck and haul your self if the money is a advantage. If not plan 1. I agree that waiting till April and flying up then riding to Texas is alot to chew off and again whats the plane fair going to be. Back to plan 1.....:s
Is there corporate expense covering move????

Renting even a small uhaul truck from NH to TX is at least 2000. That eats up a good part of the moving expenses. Far better for me to allocate that to the move from HOU to SAT. And use the rest to have a transporter move the bike for me . . . With my miles, I can fly free for a while . . . but no need to burn it if I don't need to.

thanks - mark!

Have it shipped, The dealer where you bought it from might be able to help make the arrangements. Also if as you say you haven't ridden in years i think caution is the better part of valor ,Have it shipped.

I agree - that's the best way to go. 'Leaving' it here is tough though . . . the dealer said they'd be able to make the arrangements . . . and probably save me a couple of $$ on a preferred vendor deal.

thanks - mark!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK one more idea for you to check the pricing on. Rent a small U-Haul truck one way. Put the bike in the back of the truck and tow the Honda behind it.

Incredibly enough, it costs more than 2000 for the smallest truck from NH to TX! I thought it might cost 1000 . . . but the website states its like 2150 from Nashua NH to San Antonio Texas . . . they allow 8 days for the move. Amazing!

Thanks -Mark!

One option. You should be able to pull an enclosed motorcycle trailer with the Honda without and problem if you plan. You would need a transmission cooler, no jack rabbit starting and stopping, good tires and brakes, make sure trailer is properly loaded and bike strapped down (with shocks loaded). Front wheel traction should be find unless you run into a lot of snow and ice.

Have you checked with your dealer on how much to crate and ship to your nearest dealer where you are moving to? They should give you a deal or steer you to some one who can:s

Have you checked with your dealer on how much to crate and ship to your nearest dealer where you are moving to? They should give you a deal or steer you to some one who can:s

I'll be doing that on Monday . . . hopefully I can get a better deal than I've been quoted. When I spoke to them originally, they seemed to think that around 5 to 6 hundred would be about right . . .

Makr

I'm happy to see no one is suggesting option #2, riding it 2,000 miles across the east in the early spring. Not a good way to reacquaint yourself with riding and introduce yourself to a new bike. :s

Check out Prohoist.com Hunting Cycling Motorcycle Carriers And Other Outdoor Products they have a motorcycle towing device that you just put the front tire in and then you secure the bike front end to the towing rack and the rear tire sets on the ground and follows behind the car. All you would need is a trailer hitch with a 2" receiver on your car. The towing rack will hold up to 450lbs but you are only putting 1/2 of the bike on the rack the other 1/2 of the weight will be on your back tire which is on the ground. The list price is $130 so it is a cost efficient alternative to your dilemma.

Don't know much about them, but could check out the Pod's shipping method, They drop off a box at your location then you load and they come pick it up and bring it where you tell them. google Pod's on your computer and you can bring up their information and phone number and get a price quote.

Back