free website stats program Tire size dilemma | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire size dilemma

Thank you all for your help. I'll be out tomorrow trying to finalize my tire dilemma. If Metzeler doesn't come through with a tire for the rear I think I'll start with Avon. I'm going to check out the 140/70B18 TL also. They may recommend a 4" rim but I've no problem with my 3.5" with that tire. Most of the 140's I ran across listed 3.5".

Which brings up one more item I'd like to ask your opinion of. A fellow rider confessed he has been running the Metzeler M880 150/70-18 on his 2001 Street Glide with a 3.5" rim and hasn't had any problems. Is he nut's or is it more common than I think? He also says distance between belt and tire is a credit card. I'm thinking if the 150 was on the proper 4.25" rim would it definitely hit the belt? I really wanted to go with the 150 on the 4.25" from the start but got conflicting opinions as to it rubbing the belt. So I went with the 140 to be safe. So far being safe has only caused pain.

I hope my next Post is to tell you all what I ended up with. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Nicole on bike.jpg
    Nicole on bike.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 9
You may want to inquire about the Pirelli Night Dragon tires.
They are a little wider than your tires both front and rear (.39 inches is 10mm)
Here is a link to a 150/70HB18 on J&P catalog. It may fit your rear.

Here is a matching front 140/70HB18.

You think 140 is narrow, the orginal tire is a 130/90-16. I was hoping to go with a 150/70-18 but had too many concerns about hitting the belt. I think the Metzler's are rated at 67. I can't believe I stepped into a wheel size I can't fit a set of tires to.
Thanks Hoople

Whoa. Hold the phone. Original rear was a 16" and you're looking for an 18"? What rim have you got on there?

PS Pirelli Night Dragons are a Metzeler tire so the Metzeler guy can talk about them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bigfoot. I'll check those sizes too. Yea the original tires were 16". I'm putting 18"x3.5" American Wire Wheels on my 2000 Glide. I'd still like to hear some opinions on the 150/70-18 on a 3.5" rim. It's being done but are there any serious concerns about it?
On a separate note I commuted 60 miles a day for 24 years on Japanese bikes and everytime I replaced tires I always went up at least one size. You can tell I really want that 150/70-18 on my rear. Is my fellow rider the only guy running a 150 on a 3.5" wheel?

Thanks Bigfoot. I'll check those sizes too. Yea the original tires were 16". I'm putting 18"x3.5" American Wire Wheels on my 2000 Glide. I'd still like to hear some opinions on the 150/70-18 on a 3.5" rim. It's being done but are there any serious concerns about it?
On a separate note I commuted 60 miles a day for 24 years on Japanese bikes and everytime I replaced tires I always went up at least one size. You can tell I really want that 150/70-18 on my rear. Is my fellow rider the only guy running a 150 on a 3.5" wheel?

bigfoot saw the post i Needed.....

?????? I read all thru the post??? ,,,,,, Anybody THINK of Gear Ratio Here??????

2" bigger rear??? 16" stock and 18"

Just thought that was Crazy to go that much on REAR tire.... Rub on the rear fender...

I put on a 150 (140 stock width) on my 16" rim on my 2000 dyna and had No Problems... Wright or wrong with the rim width. It worked well and I am still here to talk about it... 18"""""""

OR am I the crazy one??? Rough weekend of riding but what am I NOT seeing here??????

signed....BUBBIE

Bubster

The rim is 16" to 18" but the tire being a lower profile on the 18" rim ends up being close to the original tire/rim height that came on the bike.

You got it Glider. And we're not 2" higher we're 1" higher and the "70" should bring it back to around stock height. If you don't think 18", 19" and 21" are popular take at some look on-line pictures of Harley's. What I ran into was 50% of everything I saw on-line with Road Glides, Road Kings and others were going to a 21" front. Like I said earlier 21" looks good (maybe) but I think that would create handling problems. I've had 21's on a couple of choppers and you don't put them on for handling.

I went to Cycle Gear today and had them call Metzeler and ask if you could run a 150/70-18 on a 3.5" rim and they said "No Problem". So I've ordered the 150.
If it presents any problems I Post them here.

Attachments

• In your Face.jpg
    In your Face.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2
I went from an 18" on the front of my Street Bob to a 21". Because of the low profile sidewall it only raised the tire 1/2" into the fender. Not a problem and looks tight and sweet. Handling has been great.
SB-AlleyFrnt.jpg

Bubster

The rim is 16" to 18" but the tire being a lower profile on the 18" rim ends up being close to the original tire/rim height that came on the bike.

Just Old Fashioned with My ideas.....
I never got into the "Fancy Stuff" riders do to their bikes today... I say it is all nice to look at but I like the stock bike parts on mine...

Different strokes for different folks.... Make this world go around..

Thanks for the information Glider..:D

signed....BUBBIE

I'd like to ask a Moderator to CLOSE my Post titled "Tire size dilemma".

I appears to have run it's course and beyond. Thanks for your help and attention. I now know more about tires than I ever thought I would. Just ask me anything.

For any who followed the Post I ended up with 140/70-18 front and a
150/70-18 rear. Both Metzeler M880's. I'll Post how it handled as soon as I know. Thanks again for all your input.

Back