free website stats program Tire size dilemma | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire size dilemma

I bought 18x3 inch wire wheels for my 2000 Road Glide. I was told by the rim manufacture 130/70-18 front and 140/70-18 rear were the size to use. I ordered Metzler tires in those sizes. Well the rear 140/70 turned out to be a front. Now I can't find a Metzler 140/70-18 rear to match the front. Doesn't look like they even make one. I then turned to Avon Venom's. They make a 140/70-18 rear radial but only 130/70-18 bias front tire. Now I'm looking at Dunlap's Elites. Looks like a similar problem trying to get those sizes. I guess my question is has anyone else run into this problem and how do I get it solved? Not sure on differences between bias and radial for the Road Glide or what is recommended. What does the Road Glide call for in tires. And if worst comes to worst is there any tires that can be run with another brand and still be safe? Like a Metzler on the front and an Avon on the rear?
Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• Wheels Next.jpg
    Wheels Next.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Harley left rear.jpg
    Harley left rear.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 11
A 140 on the rear? That is too narrow. What is the load capacity of tire. (last two digits. example 67,73, 87) It can't be much.

I see a 140/70B18 TL Rear bias ply available with a 805 # rating.. but it says rim needs to be 4"

You think 140 is narrow, the orginal tire is a 130/90-16. I was hoping to go with a 150/70-18 but had too many concerns about hitting the belt. I think the Metzler's are rated at 67. I can't believe I stepped into a wheel size I can't fit a set of tires to.
Thanks Hoople

I've been reading several articles of guys running a radial on the rear and bias on the front without any problems. That may open up a few new options.
If you can run radials on the rear and bias on the front then is it okay to run different brands front and rear as long as you keep all tire and wheel sizes to specs? I'm going to have to mismatch something to use these wheels I've bought. AGAIN, I CAN'T FIND A 130/70-18 FRONT AND A 140/70-18 REAR IN MATCHING BRANDS OR TIRE TYPE YET. I really though 18x3.5" rims were more common.

A 67 is only 677 #'s of load capacity.

I think you could put that Rear 140/70B18 TL 73H Bias Ply ME 880 Meteler on a 3.5" rim and get away with it. It should not tear drop the tire too much. I am no tire expert but you would only be .5" off from a perfect setup & fit. 73 load rating is 805 which would be nice.

Part number IP code is 1331100.. Take a look.

Matching tire & wheel sizing is kinda tricky, adding load capacity and mixing radial/bias ply...I would opt for all bias ply being conservative in my way of thinking and as Hoop says in previous post, it looks like about the closest fit...

Here is a link to Tire/Wheel sizing chart to help you out...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/brakes_tire...ire_sizes.html

Matching tire & wheel sizing is kinda tricky,

So true. You think that .5" of extra tire tear drop would be a bad move?

On a cage, I would not even think about it. But on a bike, like you said, it can be tricky. I would not want the OP doing it if was a bad move to make. Tires are really out of my field.

Thanks everyone for you responses. Cycle Gear is going to call Metzler Monday and see if they a 140/70-18 for the rear. If not it looks like I may of found a set of Avon's that would work. Avon shows a bias tire listed as an Avon Venom AM41 130/70-18 front and a Venom AM41 140/70V-18 for the rear also a bias tire. If those sizes are correct I may in business. If I end up with anything weird but it works, I'll post it here. I'd still like to hear from you guys concerning this dilemma.

Attachments

• New Look 3.jpg
    New Look 3.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Much Better Look.jpg
    Much Better Look.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 5
Back