free website stats program Tire plug? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire plug?

I would only run a plug to get to a bike shop. Do you have two different makes of tires on? I'd like to know if you can tell a difference or if you have any problems in the rain.

I had a rear tire plugged at a gas station and soon forgot about it. About a year later, I had a blowout on the freeway at 70mph. The whole plug had blown out, leaving a hole the size of a nickel in the tire. I came pretty close to losing it and going down, but managed to get over and get stopped. Talk about heart attack time!

Moral of the story..... get the tire replaced.

Yea, I now have a Metzeler on the front and a Michelin Commander on theyear. Tread patterns are similar but, if I notice any difference I'll let you know.

Have around 500 miles on the new front tire. I honestly can't tell any difference in handling. Haven't ridden in the rain yet but suspect it will be fine.

Had a brother try a plug!! Spent 2 weeks in the hospital after the plug failed and totaled the bike also. Think it over!!!!!!:newsmile03:

Had a brother try a plug!! Spent 2 weeks in the hospital after the plug failed and totaled the bike also. Think it over!!!!!!:newsmile03:

A plug is definitely an emergency measure to get you home or to the nearest dealer or tire shop - slowly, of course!

Hope your brother's OK and insurance took care of the bike.

I'd use one of those rubberized string plugs only to get to the first place that could put a patch on the inside of the tire. As for replacing the tire everytime you got a flat, I don't believe that's realistic or necessary. However, if your bike uses tubes, tire patches don't work on synthetic rubber tubes.

I plugged my rear tire 1000miles ago, drive at freeway speeds every day and have no problem. The plug is between the tread so it's not hitting the road. I would think that makes it a little safer.

Had a car in the shop yesterday with 2 plugs in the sidewall, I could not believe some one would do this and drive on the hiway

Back