free website stats program Tire plug? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire plug?

ok. thats a new one on me. thought they were different tires altogether like in autos. i stand corrected. still think its time for a tire, tho.jmo

Plugs are for temporary use at best. It is not a good idea to trust a plug any farther than that. Read any article of sudden deflation of a motorcycle tire and you can only agree with all the posts that the tire needs replaced regardless of how new it is.

new tire! I have had plugs pull out of car and truck tires. I would not want that to happen on two wheels.

Most tubeless tire punctures are simply repairable with an internal tubeless tire patch, which is extremely safe if done correctly.

Tubeless tire repair if long term should only be an internal tubeless tire patch properly applied to abraded inner surface with proper vulcanizing adhesive and applied with knurled wheel to press out all the air bubbles. :D

But for me a motorcycle (my sportbike had radial tires which run hotter) relies too much on tiny tire contact patch the size of your palm, is too much an integral part of the safety and enjoyment of your bike. Just does not make sense to spend $40 for patch (you carry in) vs. buying a new tire $100 or so (on sale), but mounting & balancing is free (you carry in).

Last edited:
Just went threw this a few weeks ago. My wife and I went over a overnight ride to Gettysburg, PA. Got off PA Turnpike then onto i-81 to go check into hotel. Noticed a slight wooble when we went around a bend. Then things started getting worse, handling was bad. Pulled into rest area put air into the rear tire, thanks to a truck driver and figured we would get to Gettysburg HD. Not, had a bad wobble.
Short story is got towed thats to HOG membership (that's another story for towing). After muck date a dealer located 5 miles from us picked us up. Took the tire off and picked up and huge nail. After looking deeper into it 4 belts shifted and tire was buldging out at the side wall.
I asked dealer do they patch? His replies was NO and by looking at my tire I understand why. Service Manager did say that if a custumer (EDIT) and moans alllot they will do it. But, you will have to sign a wavier.
Sorry for novel.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I did the safe thing and bought a new tire. when I picked up the bike, I asked to see the old tire. The screw was still in the tread when they gave it back to me so I pulled it out. Guess what....it never penetrated through to the inside of the tire. The screw was long enough to embed itself into the tread but not long enough to go all the way through. Great! That explains why it never lost any air. Anyway, I kept the tire and now have a new tire when I need to replace the current one in about 20k. Oh well...live and learn. By the way, the shop only had a Metzeler in stock, so this is my first experience with them. interested to see if i can tell the differenc.e

good to hear you replaced it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've never had a metzler but i've heard very good reviews on them. only draw back was they didn't last as long as the dunlop, but i believe that depends on riding style and bike weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
only draw back was they didn't last as long as the dunlop,

It is due to the higher percent of Silica in the rubber compound. It makes for a very good RAIN tire but as you said the tires don't last as long. Live in an area where it rains often and it is a Great tire to run on.

Had same trouble on rear tire , only about 2000 miles to. against the forums advice I plugged it with one of them big plugs that I got at the tire shop and it didn't stay in 100 miles and almost didnt make it to the Harley shop and the tire was already seperating and only had about 10#'s of air!! Do yourself a favor and bite the bullet and go buy a NEW tire, as much as it might hurt your feelings to buy a new one, feelings don't hurt as bad as road rash or pushing an Electra Glide does......:34:

Back