free website stats program Tire damage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire damage

I was getting ready to go on a ride and was checking my tires. I found this big patch of rubber missing from my back tire. I have never seen anything like this before. I beleive it happen during a 240 mile trip in Phoenix. The weather was in the 90's.
I asked my local dealer and he stated he has seen this before. Just curious if anyone else has seen this and what may have caused it to seperate like this.

Do you think it could have been underinflated. Causing it to heat up and separate. Were you riding two up with a luggage? Hot day, Hot pavement.
Might have contributed. No matter, still a faulty tire.

Metzler wants you running like 40PSI. That's normal without a load.

I'm going to check my pressure right now

I ran Metzler for one season. I had a lot of cracking on the front tire very early in the tire life. When I was at Daytona I stopped and talked to the Metz engineer and he looked at the tire and said that the cracking was not a structural defect and not to worry about it. I told him that I would take care of the tire and I would replace it with a Dunlop. I will never use another Metzler.
kemo

i was told if u bye from a some catalog places u have no idea how long the tire was sitting on the shelf good be years if bought in bulk

Sure glad you found it, I'm surprised you didn't feel it with a chunk like that missing. It's always good to do a "pre-ride" once over to make sure something like that doesn't take you down. Have you decided what you're going to replace it with ?? Michelin Commanders gets my vote...

Do you think it could have been underinflated. Causing it to heat up and separate. Were you riding two up with a luggage? Hot day, Hot pavement.
Might have contributed. No matter, still a faulty tire.

Metzler wants you running like 40PSI. That's normal without a load.

I'm going to check my pressure right now

I checked my Tire pressure before the 200+ mile ride. So I know it was good on that ride. I then rode 70 miles 2 days later. Was not riding 2-up but it was a hot day and the pavement was definately hot.

I ran Metzler for one season. I had a lot of cracking on the front tire very early in the tire life. When I was at Daytona I stopped and talked to the Metz engineer and he looked at the tire and said that the cracking was not a structural defect and not to worry about it. I told him that I would take care of the tire and I would replace it with a Dunlop. I will never use another Metzler.
kemo
These tires did have cracking on the sidewalls (spider cracks), which is why I was planning on replacing them.

We will see how the Dunlop's do. All this proves that it is always good to do a pre-ride check. :s

Sure glad you found it, I'm surprised you didn't feel it with a chunk like that missing. It's always good to do a "pre-ride" once over to make sure something like that doesn't take you down. Have you decided what you're going to replace it with ?? Michelin Commanders gets my vote...

I already replaced them - Dunlop's. Since they did cover it with the ESP, I had to go with Dunlop or pay the difference. I wanted them to pay.
I had to ride it to the Local Dealer (about 5 miles). I did not feel anything when I rode it. Of course, I had a top speed of 40 mph.

Don't tell me that. I just bought 2 new Metzeler tires.

You are probably good. I think they quit making them in Brazil, because of quality problems.

Watch your pressure. I really cut myself short on a set, by not.

I really like the tires, life span was not all that great. I think I got about 8K out rear on the set I treated right.

Great, I just switched to Metzlers :(

Will keep an extra eye on the tires. I`m happy you found this before getting back on the bike, but I would imagine feeling this when on the road..

Glad nothing happened.

Back