free website stats program Tire damage | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire damage

Eagle Rider

I was getting ready to go on a ride and was checking my tires. I found this big patch of rubber missing from my back tire. I have never seen anything like this before. I beleive it happen during a 240 mile trip in Phoenix. The weather was in the 90's.
I asked my local dealer and he stated he has seen this before. Just curious if anyone else has seen this and what may have caused it to seperate like this.

Attachments

• SNC00002.jpg
    SNC00002.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 97
No & it does not look good if its Dunlap i would email them or call thr tire manufacture.....

Never seen it on a motorcycle tire. Looks like there is plenty of tread left, did you have the dealer mount this tire or did you buy it from the dealer? Did the dealer offer any explanination as to what could cause this other than manufacture defect?

How old is the tire. What manufacturer and which model. Glad that you found this before it let go on you.
kemo

Never seen it on a motorcycle tire. Looks like there is plenty of tread left, did you have the dealer mount this tire or did you buy it from the dealer? Did the dealer offer any explanination as to what could cause this other than manufacture defect?

The dealer did mount itand they had no explanation.

How old is the tire. What manufacturer and which model. Glad that you found this before it let go on you.

The tire is a little over a year old and it was a Metzeler tire. I was extremely happy to have found it before my ride.

in the picture you can see cracking between the treads.I would look into warranty on it as Dunlop has had an ongoing problem with this.
The Dealer did cover it under my Extended Service Plan. Although there was some debate since it was not a Dunlop and they only replace tires using Dunlop. Ultimately I went with that.

The bottom line is that this seems strange to me. It just seems like an odd damage. I was thinking maybe the heat from the road or perhaps running something over. But I have been riding in AZ for 20+ years and never had heat related damage to my tires (of course had in the past only had Dunlop's) and I think if I ran something over, I would have heard it.

Metzeler had alot of complaints when they moved their manufacturing to Brazil. I wonder where that tire was made.

Hard to tell from a picture but it could be road damage I have seen chunks cut out like that on old rail road tracks I cut one some thing like that on a truck mud flap bracket one time.

It's just such a wierd cut...that is why I keep struggling with Road damage. To me it almost looks like something you would run into with a re-tread.

The most important thing is you found it. I check my tires every time I ride. It is a lot of trouble but worth it. It is always a better ride feeling safe..........

Back